Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS fuel economy

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
what do use guys get in the SS when you stick it on cruise control, 100km/h on a level freeway ? reset the fuel reading once set on 100km.h give it a few kms to get an average.....

this is what i do with the sv6 to check how thirsty she is, im on 15L around town, but at 100km/h on freeway and reset (constant speed) she does 6.5L :)

would be interesting to know what the SS uses

Kersh

Reaction score
Website
www.kersh.biz
Members Ride
VE SS Ute '08
I have an auto SS, currently getting 14.1L/100Km which is 99% around town driving over 30,000km lifetime (only ever taken it on a long trip twice). I always use premium at the bowser. I drive casually an only occasionaly sink the boot.

avging 41km/hr according to the trip computer

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
SS ute 14.1L/100km town driving?

Not saying you are telling porkies mate, but that's pretty damn low for stop start city driving in a v8.
SS ute official holden "combined" figures are 12.4L/100km.... but that's taking into consideration very careful driving to achieve in controlled test results. Let's say that 8 or 9's on hwy is realistically achievable by most folk. As such, to achieve the combined figure quoted by holden (unlikely but lets take it as gospel for the sake of argument) the city cycle must equal AT BEST 16L/100km. Realistic city driving by normal folk would be much higher I would imagine.

But then you've said that the 14.1L was achieved "99% city driving" (basically no hwy at all).... it just doesnt add up mate.

AFM isnt activated at low speeds, and v8's (no matter how modern) arent going to be very efficient stopping and starting in traffic- and certainly not at 14.1L per 100km. No way.

Either your fuel computer is out, or you havent reset it recently. To get an accurate fuel use, do the following:

1) fill up car as usual (note how many times you click to 'fill' and stop... 1 click, 2 clicks, whatever). Just make sure you fill as normal.

2) Drive car for 100km in the city (or as close you can get to it), and find a servo.

3) Fill car again... as normal.

The fuel you've pumped will give you a pretty accurate measurement of exactly how much juice she'll use in 100km. You can use mathmatics to get it exact (if you dont happen to find a servo at 100km), but you get the gist.

(my guess is bowser will keep pumping past 14.1L though:))

johnnyv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v a6 v8
I have 07 v8 auto calais i have tune otr full 2.5 exhaust and im using around 18l/100 on just short trips of 15min in sydney south suburbs I don,t baby it but i do stick close to speed limit i just get there quicker than most,then i cruise.On a run on the open road i got the trip average down to 10.5 and i was a speed limit over took a few fords ect and was happy with my fuel reading .It cost me $90.to fill up.

energizer61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Man Ve SSV Sedan
Averages improve in accuracy with time, so here's my long term info since picking up my car;

Odo when picked up - 120kms (tank showed full, but unsure if it was topped off full, so you could possibly add a few litres to calcs below, but effect will be negligable)
Kms at last fill - 8261
Kms travelled by us - 8141

Total Litres of fuel used - 1122

some simple Maths - gives me an average of 13.78 l/100

I'm happy with that - was expecting worse.. sure we could bring that figure down a little by driving conservatively, but I enjoy driving it & if we wanted conservative we'd drive a turbo diesel golf.

Additional info that can effect fuel usage (that you may like to know)
Average speed is usually between 40-50km/h at resets
we mostly do around town driving, with occasional long trips on the highway (I wouldn't compare our around town trips to inner Sydney driving though, more like urban area driving)
I would estimate a 70/30 split (town/highway)
It's manual.
We don't tow anything with it.
I enjoy driving the car, so I don't nanna it (but the wife does take take it easy) - driving share is approx a 50/50 split
KPM catback was fitted at around 2000kms, no other mods
mostly 95octane (when the Mrs fills it) with about every 4th tank being 98 Octane (when I fill it)

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
for no other reason but price, Wikky. The mods plus cooler thermostat and recalibrated thermo fans which I forgot to mention plus a 40,000km service cost me $1900 as it was, would loved to have added a 2.5" cat back in mild steel for $1000 fitted but the budget wouldn't stretch.

Interesting mods. Stock exhaust with an OTR and mafless tune. Any reason for retaining the exhaust?

*Sorry for going O/T.

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
My manual ssv running on bp ultimate (totally standard) gets between 14 and 15 to a tank, thats all city driving, about 430kms i think to a tank, average speed is usually between 30 and 40

+1, thats when it was stock standard, but now with the full exhaust sys and otr + mafless tune it sits @ 15.5-16L and it's M6

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
SS ute 14.1L/100km town driving?

Not saying you are telling porkies mate, but that's pretty damn low for stop start city driving in a v8.
SS ute official holden "combined" figures are 12.4L/100km.... but that's taking into consideration very careful driving to achieve in controlled test results. Let's say that 8 or 9's on hwy is realistically achievable by most folk. As such, to achieve the combined figure quoted by holden (unlikely but lets take it as gospel for the sake of argument) the city cycle must equal AT BEST 16L/100km. Realistic city driving by normal folk would be much higher I would imagine.

But then you've said that the 14.1L was achieved "99% city driving" (basically no hwy at all).... it just doesnt add up mate.

AFM isnt activated at low speeds, and v8's (no matter how modern) arent going to be very efficient stopping and starting in traffic- and certainly not at 14.1L per 100km. No way.

Either your fuel computer is out, or you havent reset it recently. To get an accurate fuel use, do the following:

1) fill up car as usual (note how many times you click to 'fill' and stop... 1 click, 2 clicks, whatever). Just make sure you fill as normal.

2) Drive car for 100km in the city (or as close you can get to it), and find a servo.

3) Fill car again... as normal.

The fuel you've pumped will give you a pretty accurate measurement of exactly how much juice she'll use in 100km. You can use mathmatics to get it exact (if you dont happen to find a servo at 100km), but you get the gist.

(my guess is bowser will keep pumping past 14.1L though:))

Meh - my sedan gets a shade under 13 for what is 95% Melbourne metropolitan driving over 21,xxx km off the computer. I reset it for my recent Sydney trip. My car was the last of them before AFM was introduced. IMO fuel economy is about how you drive it. Smooth gets the best out of my cars.

Reaper

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
my ssv gets around 13L 60kmh avg.
Sits around 9L-10L highway driving @ 110kmh

jneil

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Alto SSVeII Redline M6
Meh - my sedan gets a shade under 13 for what is 95% Melbourne metropolitan driving over 21,xxx km off the computer. I reset it for my recent Sydney trip. My car was the last of them before AFM was introduced. IMO fuel economy is about how you drive it. Smooth gets the best out of my cars.

Reaper

What is your average km/h & L/100km for a typical fill/reset trip/fill situation in a normal driving week? I think <13 is extreamly low for 95% Melbourne Metro driving with other cars, lights, trams etc everywhere?