Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss lifters

franks ve ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
Hi guys got a ve ss series 2,got the car brand new always serviced at 10k never flooded it doesn't make any weird noise but im hearing and reading all this stuff about the lifters,has anyone had issues with them and do you get any warnings? Cars done 220,000kms

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Hi guys got a ve ss series 2,got the car brand new always serviced at 10k never flooded it doesn't make any weird noise but im hearing and reading all this stuff about the lifters,has anyone had issues with them and do you get any warnings? Cars done 220,000kms
lifters in Ls engine are problematic. the Gen 4 dod lifters again are worse for failures.

If your planning to keep car at 220000kms id give the engine a freshin up new lifters valve stem seals etc

franks ve ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
Sorry never flooged

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Does it have DOD? If it’s a displacement on demand engine then I’d kill two birds with one stone and get a DOD delete done, which will replace all the lifters.

Standard LS lifters are somewhat problematic and DOD lifters are quite problematic. The best stock replacement option is LS7 lifters which seem to be a lot more durable than the standard lifters.

From what I’ve seen/heard you will get a squeak from the engine at idle which just sounds like a dodgy idler pulley but it’s actually the lifter wiping out the cam lobe (video below).

franks ve ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
Does it have DOD? If it’s a displacement on demand engine then I’d kill two birds with one stone and get a DOD delete done, which will replace all the lifters.

Standard LS lifters are somewhat problematic and DOD lifters are quite problematic. The best stock replacement option is LS7 lifters which seem to be a lot more durable than the standard lifters.

From what I’ve seen/heard you will get a squeak from the engine at idle which just sounds like a dodgy idler pulley but it’s actually the lifter wiping out the cam lobe (video below).

Yes it is afm but no noise or squecking I will get it done but need to save for it hopefully it will get by another 6 to 12 months so I will get warning,I've been told they fail without warning is that bullshit,like I said I drive it like a grandpa on a Sunday this thing very rarely gets to hit the red line

franks ve ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
They will get noisy if there’s any lifter issues, wouldnt hurt to replace them if you’re planning on keeping it long term but other than that just drive and enjoy
Will electrically disabling the afm give me a few more kms or am I just wasting $600 and put it towards the rebuild

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I've got a range afm delete on ours, if the afm lifters don't have to collapse the odd time it goes into 4 cylinder mode. I'm hoping that it will increase the longevity.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes it is afm but no noise or squecking I will get it done but need to save for it hopefully it will get by another 6 to 12 months so I will get warning,I've been told they fail without warning is that bullshit,like I said I drive it like a grandpa on a Sunday this thing very rarely gets to hit the red line
If you’re not getting up it for the rent and servicing it properly it should be fine. Most people here recommend shortening the oil change interval as the standard service interval of 15k kms is too long.

The tolerances on hydraulic lifters are smaller than a human hair so dirty oil won’t do them any favours. Shortening the oil change interval to at least half (7500kms) would be advisable IMO, if you’re not doing that already.