Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Steering Wheel On VU Ute

berttybettle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Commodore
IMG_7236.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know it’s been a while but how do you fit the steering wheel? I have a vy and want to put a ve wheel on it if possible

The OP hasn't been on since 2017, however I will tag @Lex, as I believe he has done a swap similar to this on his wagon...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I know it’s been a while but how do you fit the steering wheel? I have a vy and want to put a ve wheel on it if possible
The vy & ve steeringwheel splines are the same. If you have radio controls use the ve clock spring & the piece that goes on the back of the clockspring. Cut the loom 150 mm (6 inches) from the clockspring then cut yours (vy) of, then wire in the to correct coresponding wires .

You can try the vy clock spring, but l dont think you'll get the steering wheel controls to work? Could be wrong though? :) :cool:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The vy & ve steeringwheel splines are the same. If you have radio controls use the ve clock spring & the piece that goes on the back of the clockspring. Cut the loom 150 mm (6 inches) from the clockspring then cut yours (vy) of, then wire in the to correct coresponding wires .

You can try the vy clock spring, but l dont think you'll get the steering wheel controls to work? Could be wrong though? :) :cool:

Just out of curiosity @Lex...Did you use your bolt to hold the later model steering wheel on?

Reason I ask is, I put another column in my VY, due to the ignition switch playing up and the VY steering wheel bolt was too thin for the earlier model column...I believe the column came from a VT or VX...

So this might be something else to consider if it is the case

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just out of curiosity @Lex...Did you use your bolt to hold the later model steering wheel on?
Yes l used the vt vx steering wheel column bolt.
Vy, vz, vf are the same.

I'd assume ve is the same as vy - vz? But l never checked that.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes l used the vt vx steering wheel column bolt.
Vy, vz, vf are the same.

I'd assume ve is the same as vy - vz? But l never checked that.

Not sure myself, hence the query...Definately worth mentioning for future reference... :)

Hursty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2

Lex, i know its been a while but do you know exactly which wires need to be connected to what? I've got a VE wheel im wanting to install onto my VY

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lex, i know its been a while but do you know exactly which wires need to be connected to what? I've got a VE wheel im wanting to install onto my VY
You'll need the ve clock spring (the plug that plugs into the clock spring & some extra wiring to splice into the vy system) steering wheel & airbag.

No idea (i do) on what wires to use. You have to do your own research. Its not hard. Find what colour wiers from your vy to what the ve wire colours are.
Here are the workshop manuals. Check out srs systems.
vt -vz https://mega.nz/file/Oex2gYyI#5m8benPFSI_DQLGKyDvaA_tXZS0HMWUjzef_q0lv27g
ve https://www.allcarmanuals.com/factory-service-manual-214-Holden-Commodore-VE.html