Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Stereo Upgrade Help :)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Hi guys, looking at upgrading the stock SS head unit in my 08 VE.

Looking at 3 possibilities.
1- Series 1 SSV setup.
2- Series 2 Setup
3- Alpine aftermarket screen setup.

What do you guys recommend.
I do like the series 2 look alot but unsure how costly this may be and availability still.
I got offered the IQ unit out of a SS and the top air vent plastic for $400 is that good still would need other plastic bits id assume?
Thanks a lot

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
I find my Series 1 SSV system better then my Series 2 IQ system.

Thanks for the reply mate.
Oh really? Just sounds better and runs better you mean?
I want to be able to play my iPhone music through it and charge and id be happy.
I think id need usb installed on series 1 which i don't mind doing.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
In regards to the alpine unit... I've fitted a few of them. The standard fascia which doesn't have the HVAC touch screen but the buttons and displays everything on the alpines reverse camera looks like ****. The HVAC display looks ****, the buttons look **** and the fascia looks ****.

The touch screen fascia which only accepts the 8" alpine unit doesn't look too bad. Looks pretty good in fact. But for the $2800 you spend, I think it could look better. But for functionality, it definetly the best option. But do you need all those extra functions.

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
yea i think I'm more towards the series 1 SSV/Clubsport unit or the series 2 iq unit.
Just sussing prices and cost for programming at the present.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
I have a my10 ssvse series 1 and a my13 Z series2 sv6 ute here.

I dont like the way the Series 2 iq unit puts gaps in on mixed cds . They are supposed to be continous mixes and splits ruins them.
the series 1 unit does not do that and for that i like series 1 units better.
The sound quality is equally good on both units and either can be amped for more power .
personally i find that my series 1 sounds powerfull enough when im driving and its getting 14-15 volts up it.
plus make sure to do the reverse phase mod on the subs ,it improves the sound big time!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
you know it's funny... people think that Holden screwed up and accidentally wired the subs out of phase with the rest of the system. It was actually deliberate! In doing so it helped some of the NVH problems the car was plagued with. Now, having said that.... reverse the phase on the subs, it sounds so much better! lol

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
yea i think I'm more towards the series 1 SSV/Clubsport unit or the series 2 iq unit.
Just sussing prices and cost for programming at the present.

Mate like I said on the other board, the HIQ with SatNav as a completely new front end with all the latest maps and software costs just $1070. There is nothing better suited you the car and is bullet proof by comparison to third party Chinese head units.

Ultimate Conversion Wiring may be able to work out a deal on programming your second hand one, does it have SatNav and latest OS, firmware, maps? My previous unit was SSV SII with 2011 revision but was pokey, slow and crashed a fair bit. This new one works as you would expect.

Worth the investment to get a balance of function and reliability as a base for building your ICC / sound system.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
I have a Galaxy Note2 mounted within finger tip distance from the steering wheel , I can run GPS and Dashcommand and Neutron player and whatever else i want simultaniously and its all just a finger swipe away .
rather than using the headphone out i have an external 32bit Sabre dac connected to the Note2 via usb . it outputs 2v to the aux input on the head unit. The sound quality is superb .
get it here : HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC

Last edited:

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Mate like I said on the other board, the HIQ with SatNav as a completely new front end with all the latest maps and software costs just $1070. There is nothing better suited you the car and is bullet proof by comparison to third party Chinese head units.

Ultimate Conversion Wiring may be able to work out a deal on programming your second hand one, does it have SatNav and latest OS, firmware, maps? My previous unit was SSV SII with 2011 revision but was pokey, slow and crashed a fair bit. This new one works as you would expect.

Worth the investment to get a balance of function and reliability as a base for building your ICC / sound system.

I haven't purchased anything yet.
I'm not looking at Chinese units now it's either series 1 or 2.
I've contacted ultimate wiring and am discussing it with him. I haven't got one yet but if I go series 2 I will get firmware update. I'm not really worried about sat nav unless it comes up cheap.
Were did you get your one for $1070
Thanks