Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Stereo Upgrade Help :)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
BNIB from.... Holden!

Cost another $150 to remove, diagnose, route around, install, route around, find some doof doof, turn it right up, take a smoko break, take for a test drive(?), have a chat etc., as you would expect from GMH service.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I believe I saw a kit on ebay, all parts required for IQ to series 1 commodores for sub $1500. Not GPS model

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
There are a number of things that you will need to get or sort to fit either the S1 or S2 IQ headunits.

1) You will need a modified HVAC module (To fool the S1 or S2 headunits in to thinking you have Dual Zone Climate Control Fitted). There is a fair bit to doing this (Obtaining a DZ HVAC module, then modifying it adding resistors to fool it in to thinking you have the cabin temp sensors fitted).

2) Programming (as mentioned) Series II stuff is much harder to program than S1 stuff. Best to talk to Ultimate about what options and prices are available here because it may be worth your while to get things like reverse camera enabled, VIM lockout disabled, and all the other fun programming things you can do with these things.

3) Series II IQ units will require some re-wiring to get working... Some places like ultimate may be able to provide you with a inline plug in harness to get the IQ unit to work with Series I models.
(Or if you have the time and patience, you can make your own - or modify your existing HU wiring).

4) Series II IQ units will require a fair bit of interior trim bits to fit up. (IQ cage, chassis, lower and upper surrounds, spears) to name the basics.
If you are getting a gloss black IQ unit, then you may wish to swap the shift surround, steering wheel buttons, headlight switch and window buttons for S2 Gloss black units to have matching interior trim bits.

The trim bits can often exceed the cost of the IQ unit. (It certainly did in my case, the initial IQ unit with Sat Nav was 1/4th of the cost of all the trim bits I got)

5) Later software updates to the IQ units removed some "sound" functionality such as the loudness function, (and startup volumes), hence some IQ units will sound "worse" than Series I units. (Less Bass).

6) Only late model Series I units have reverse camera support. (Something to keep in mind if you wish to fit such a thing)

7) What the IQ unit misses in terms of sound, it more than makes up for in terms of bluetooth telephone support. (Siri support, bluetooth dialing from the headunit, contact syncronisation, displaying incoming call numbers on the headunit and cluster).

8) If looking at an IQ unit, and If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend getting Sat Nav. (the average fleabay price for Sat Nav is usually only a couple of hundred dollars more than the non sat nav units).
Well worth the investment, as you cannot retro fit Sat Nav to an existing IQ unit if it doesn't have it. (Its a replace the IQ unit with a Sat Nav version).
The traffic monitoring functions, speed limit display on the cluster, red light / speed camera / intelligent school zone alerts can be very handy even if you dont require sat nav all that often.

Lots and lots of things to think about.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
There are a number of things that you will need to get or sort to fit either the S1 or S2 IQ headunits.

1) You will need a modified HVAC module (To fool the S1 or S2 headunits in to thinking you have Dual Zone Climate Control Fitted). There is a fair bit to doing this (Obtaining a DZ HVAC module, then modifying it adding resistors to fool it in to thinking you have the cabin temp sensors fitted).

2) Programming (as mentioned) Series II stuff is much harder to program than S1 stuff. Best to talk to Ultimate about what options and prices are available here because it may be worth your while to get things like reverse camera enabled, VIM lockout disabled, and all the other fun programming things you can do with these things.

3) Series II IQ units will require some re-wiring to get working... Some places like ultimate may be able to provide you with a inline plug in harness to get the IQ unit to work with Series I models.
(Or if you have the time and patience, you can make your own - or modify your existing HU wiring).

4) Series II IQ units will require a fair bit of interior trim bits to fit up. (IQ cage, chassis, lower and upper surrounds, spears) to name the basics.
If you are getting a gloss black IQ unit, then you may wish to swap the shift surround, steering wheel buttons, headlight switch and window buttons for S2 Gloss black units to have matching interior trim bits.

The trim bits can often exceed the cost of the IQ unit. (It certainly did in my case, the initial IQ unit with Sat Nav was 1/4th of the cost of all the trim bits I got)

5) Later software updates to the IQ units removed some "sound" functionality such as the loudness function, (and startup volumes), hence some IQ units will sound "worse" than Series I units. (Less Bass).

6) Only late model Series I units have reverse camera support. (Something to keep in mind if you wish to fit such a thing)

7) What the IQ unit misses in terms of sound, it more than makes up for in terms of bluetooth telephone support. (Siri support, bluetooth dialing from the headunit, contact syncronisation, displaying incoming call numbers on the headunit and cluster).

8) If looking at an IQ unit, and If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend getting Sat Nav. (the average fleabay price for Sat Nav is usually only a couple of hundred dollars more than the non sat nav units).
Well worth the investment, as you cannot retro fit Sat Nav to an existing IQ unit if it doesn't have it. (Its a replace the IQ unit with a Sat Nav version).
The traffic monitoring functions, speed limit display on the cluster, red light / speed camera / intelligent school zone alerts can be very handy even if you dont require sat nav all that often.

Yes! and think about this one: if you dont mind a beautiful 6 inch touch screen at your fingertips a series 1 unit does all the above and more if you have a good /large smart phone and know how to use it, its awesome. im an android man an love it.
i say call sally and it does it ! i say open dashcommand it opens it, open navigation it opens neutron player open an so on an so on.
I know series 1 units do not bluetooth music streaming but who cares the aux input sounds great if driven by a clean source and the bluetooth phone works perfectly with the series 1 units too.
really its a lot less expense and faffing around to just use the series1 unit and a phablet.

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, I agree with you, a Series I headunit is perfectly fine. (My VE Calais V is a series 1, and it came with factory sat nav, and roof mounted DVD player).
There is also nothing wrong with using a tablet, smartphone, or PI to do some heavy lifting in terms of media functions, and use the headunit as a dumb device.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Series 1 headunit unit. For me though, I want my interior to look as factory as possible. I just want things to work when I need them, and not have to remember to pack my Nexus10 every time I want to check traffic, nav to a customer, or pull out my phone to make a call.

In the end, I put my money where my mouth is and ponied up just over $3000 for my interior upgrade.

image.php

This is probably much much more than ANYONE would want to spend on an IQ conversion.
My saving grace was that I sold my Series I stuff for just over $2000, which made the IQ upgrade very cheap....
Again, this is not something that would be suitable for everyone, or maybe anyone.
Just putting some of my expensive experience out there so others hopefully learn from the mistakes that I have made (and save some coin in the process).

For me, I have absolutely no regrets in the upgrade. Again its not something that I would recommend for everyone, but it is something that I enjoy, which for me is all that matters.

As a side note :
I have been working on a Raspberri Pi (MATE desktop, mono, ELM329 connected to SW Can for 11Bit and 29Bit comms).
The Pi is connected to the AUX video input on the headunit, and I have some rudimentary steering wheel and headunit controls working (29Bit can button broadcasts enumerated as keyboard presses).
This means that i can use XBMC to play media, but more importantly I can display the same sort of stuff as dash command (actually I can display a lot more because I am dealing with raw CAN messages here).
The Pi is powered directly by the car, and is hidden in the glovebox. (So no messy windscreen mounts, no dangling cables, and no crap to get in my way).
Ohhh, and the Pi costs less than $50 :)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
So much great info thanks so much Zerone for all of that.
I may have tracked down a IQ unit quite cheap with almost all the plastics bar the manual shifter surround ill no for sure on thursday.
However it is only a SV6 2012 unit which id imagine has no sat nav.
Ive sent Justin a email at Ultimate to see how much and what is needed just waiting to hear back.
Ill have to try and get a hvac also from the sounds of it as this one it from a ute?

thanks for everything

P.s I love the way yours looks. Wish i could have that setup but everyone has a budget and $3000 is just out of my range. haha.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
Get yourself a galaxy note3 for $750 or less and join the 21st century,you will forget all about series1/2/vf head units.
that said ,i can understand the need for the factory look ,even if it is wrong for the model. its what floats youre boat that matters.

Last edited:

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Get yourself a galaxy note3 for $750 or less and join the 21st century,you will forget all about series1/2/vf head units.
that said ,i can understand the need for the factory look ,even if it is wrong for the model. its what floats youre boat that matters.

Thanks for the other option mate, pretty keen on just one of the holden units but now. thanks

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN

Hey mate, do you no if the Manual shifter surround on the series 2 sedan and ute are the same? thanks