Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Stereo Upgrade Help :)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Yeah, I agree with you, a Series I headunit is perfectly fine. (My VE Calais V is a series 1, and it came with factory sat nav, and roof mounted DVD player).
There is also nothing wrong with using a tablet, smartphone, or PI to do some heavy lifting in terms of media functions, and use the headunit as a dumb device.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Series 1 headunit unit. For me though, I want my interior to look as factory as possible. I just want things to work when I need them, and not have to remember to pack my Nexus10 every time I want to check traffic, nav to a customer, or pull out my phone to make a call.

In the end, I put my money where my mouth is and ponied up just over $3000 for my interior upgrade.

image.php

This is probably much much more than ANYONE would want to spend on an IQ conversion.
My saving grace was that I sold my Series I stuff for just over $2000, which made the IQ upgrade very cheap....
Again, this is not something that would be suitable for everyone, or maybe anyone.
Just putting some of my expensive experience out there so others hopefully learn from the mistakes that I have made (and save some coin in the process).

For me, I have absolutely no regrets in the upgrade. Again its not something that I would recommend for everyone, but it is something that I enjoy, which for me is all that matters.

As a side note :
I have been working on a Raspberri Pi (MATE desktop, mono, ELM329 connected to SW Can for 11Bit and 29Bit comms).
The Pi is connected to the AUX video input on the headunit, and I have some rudimentary steering wheel and headunit controls working (29Bit can button broadcasts enumerated as keyboard presses).
This means that i can use XBMC to play media, but more importantly I can display the same sort of stuff as dash command (actually I can display a lot more because I am dealing with raw CAN messages here).
The Pi is powered directly by the car, and is hidden in the glovebox. (So no messy windscreen mounts, no dangling cables, and no crap to get in my way).
Ohhh, and the Pi costs less than $50 :)

Hi Zerone.
Were did you get the black section IQ surround that runs down to the centre console i need one and have only been able to find grey.
Did you leave the E2 cluster in or upgrade to E3 in the end?
thanks mate.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
This part ?

image.php

The HSV models got the black coloured lower trim surround. (And possibly the SSV models, but I am not 100% sure).

The problem with this trim surround is that wreckers tend to have a habit of breaking the plastic bit at the bottom of the trim.
(The part that joins the two sides together).

So your best bet is to go to Holden and grab this bit brand new from the parts guy.
From memory this part cost around $30 (Part#92222620)

They will probably need to order it in for you as well. Just check it when you receive it to make sure its not broken.
(The first one I ordered from Holden was broken)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
This part ?

image.php

The HSV models got the black coloured lower trim surround. (And possibly the SSV models, but I am not 100% sure).

The problem with this trim surround is that wreckers tend to have a habit of breaking the plastic bit at the bottom of the trim.
(The part that joins the two sides together).

So your best bet is to go to Holden and grab this bit brand new from the parts guy.
From memory this part cost around $30 (Part#92222620)

They will probably need to order it in for you as well. Just check it when you receive it to make sure its not broken.
(The first one I ordered from Holden was broken)

Yep thats the one mate haha.
Its the last thing i believe i need to get the IQ in (still need programming yet for IQ and HVAC) and get a new disc for the updated maps but thats not major.
Any idea if the black and grey are different prices? Ill give holden a call monday for sure but.
So the section that joins both sides should be joined yea? thanks mate.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Luckily Black and Grey are the same price.

Yeah there is a bit just under the radio where the trims are joined, (You cant see it in the above photo, but that trim bit is broken, and I just clipped it to the chassis to take the photo.

You can see on this photo the plastic bar just below the head unit is missing. This is the plastic bit I am talking about.
(Its very flimsy, and snaps very easily).

image.php

Note the gap between the bottom of the IQ unit, and the top of the smokers pack.

---

Oh, and as for the cluster,
The cluster that I am using is an E3 cluster, but I swapped out the fascia with the E2 cluster that I originally had.
(This was so the Sat Nav prompts and posted speed limit / warnings worked properly).

The reason for going for the E2 look was I sold the E3 triple gauges to try and recoup the cost of the upgrade (And kept the E2 triple gauges that I already had).
At the time I didnt know about the Sat Nav issues with earlier clusters, so the thought of upgrading to an E3 cluster never crossed my mind.

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Yep i see what you mean.
Ill make sure of this.
Thanks for the info mate i was sure the piece from holden would have been costly so thats a plus.
and its great i can get black as i was looking for ideas to make the grey look more natural in the car.

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Just seen what you wrote about the clusters. I'll see what I can find with a E3 as I have I think E2 at the moment and may aswell upgrade if I can afford it. Thanks mate

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Dont worry too much about the cluster at this point in time.
If you have a white backed cluster (Early VE Series I or HSV E1), then the Sat Nav Prompts on the cluster will be a little bit corrupt. (No biggie, you just need to hit the MENU button on the steering wheel to return to the speedo display whenever you pass a school zone, red light / speed camera.

image.php

I put up with it for a couple of months whilst I was looking for any Series II cluster that came up, not a biggie really, but it will slowly become annoying.

If you have a black back cluster (Series I and HSV E2), then the sat nav prompts will display fine (They will just be a generic warning), but you wont have the posted speed limit / overspeed flashing warning.

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
If you have a white backed cluster (Early VE Series I or HSV E1), then the Sat Nav Prompts on the cluster will be a little bit corrupt. (No biggie, you just need to hit the MENU button on the steering wheel to return to the speedo display whenever you pass a school zone, red light / speed camera.

image.php

I put up with it for a couple of months whilst I was looking for any Series II cluster that came up, not a biggie really, but it will slowly become annoying.

If you have a black back cluster (Series I and HSV E2), then the sat nav prompts will display fine (They will just be a generic warning), but you wont have the posted speed limit / overspeed flashing warning.

Thanks mate, Mine is a white back but looks the same as the above one (HSV).
Ill keep an eye out for a series 2 if it pops up there easy enough to change over.
Spoke to holden today about the lower trim piece they quoted me $29 or $38 depending on what one i wanted so ill see what shows they ordered both.

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual

image.php

Can you install a HSV cluster into an SSV?