Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Stereo Upgrade Help :)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
When did you install it though? I've been told you can't do it now because HSV caught on and the Holden dealers can't activate it with the intranet now.

Probably about a year ago.
HOLDEN didn't install mine but so shouldn't be a problem.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Can you install a HSV cluster into an SSV?

You can pretty much install any VE cluster in to any VE model (With exception to Statesman / Caprice models, as the surround is completely different and the cluster wont physically fit).

The HSV Clusters are just glorified versions of the Calais / Berlina triple LCD Clusters, with SV6/SS/SSV needles, different face, and SV6/SS/SSV fascia surround (E1 and E2), or a new fascia surround for E3 models.
(There is also the LED illumination and possibly the addition of some warning lights depending on the model), but all this can be retro fitted to another LIKE cluster.
The boards are exactly the same, and software versions (comparing like year models) are all the same as well.

Some of the high end only options such as HSV's MRC, and the Caprice's auto levelling headlight / low washer fluid warnings are all available on every other cluster (Even the Omega clusters), they just need to be enabled / disabled depending on the application.

Holden have 3 problems with programming clusters,
1) Tech2 dose not allow them to change the Odo reading if the cluster is not brand spanking new, and
2) The mechanics don't usually play around much with Tech2, so finding a dealership that knows how to get this stuff working is a hit and miss affair.
3) Some Holden dealerships will refuse to try and program a HSV cluster to work with a non HSV model. (This is purely political, and has nothing to do with ability).

However this doesnt mean that it cannot be done by someone else... Someone that is good at wiring conversions. (Actually someone that is pretty ultimate at conversions of wiring) for example ;)

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
You can pretty much install any VE cluster in to any VE model (With exception to Statesman / Caprice models, as the surround is completely different and the cluster wont physically fit).

The HSV Clusters are just glorified versions of the Calais / Berlina triple LCD Clusters, with SV6/SS/SSV needles, different face, and SV6/SS/SSV fascia surround (E1 and E2), or a new fascia surround for E3 models.
(There is also the LED illumination and possibly the addition of some warning lights depending on the model), but all this can be retro fitted to another LIKE cluster.
The boards are exactly the same, and software versions (comparing like year models) are all the same as well.

Some of the high end only options such as HSV's MRC, and the Caprice's auto levelling headlight / low washer fluid warnings are all available on every other cluster (Even the Omega clusters), they just need to be enabled / disabled depending on the application.

Holden have 3 problems with programming clusters,
1) Tech2 dose not allow them to change the Odo reading if the cluster is not brand spanking new, and
2) The mechanics don't usually play around much with Tech2, so finding a dealership that knows how to get this stuff working is a hit and miss affair.
3) Some Holden dealerships will refuse to try and program a HSV cluster to work with a non HSV model. (This is purely political, and has nothing to do with ability).

However this doesnt mean that it cannot be done by someone else... Someone that is good at wiring conversions. (Actually someone that is pretty ultimate at conversions of wiring) for example ;)

So if I were to contact them, tell them my VIN and KMs then send them a HSV cluster it'd be a simple plug and play once they've sent it back?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
They will need a couple of things to program the cluster up.
VIN and Kms are the obvious things, but they will also need,
Engine type (L98, L77, L78, LS2, LS3, SIDI, 3L, 3.6L, etc)
Transmission Type (4, 5, 6 Speed Auto, or Manual)
Chassis type (Sedan, Wagon, Ute, Long Wheel Base model)
ABS / ESC Options fitted (Eg ABS only, ESC fitted)

Then there are what options you would like enabled.
Some of these will generate errors if your car was not fitted with them in the first place.
(Eg Magnetic Ride Control, Hot Oil Temperature warning, Caprice Auto leveling headlamps)
Some can be safely enabled without causing any problems, however they wont work unless you have other things installed / programmed
(Eg Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)
And some can be enabled regardless of what options you have fitted.
(Eg Seatbelt warning chime disabled, Sport shift display for some auto models, Police trap speed mode, etc)

Hope this helps

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
They will need a couple of things to program the cluster up.
VIN and Kms are the obvious things, but they will also need,
Engine type (L98, L77, L78, LS2, LS3, SIDI, 3L, 3.6L, etc)
Transmission Type (4, 5, 6 Speed Auto, or Manual)
Chassis type (Sedan, Wagon, Ute, Long Wheel Base model)
ABS / ESC Options fitted (Eg ABS only, ESC fitted)

Then there are what options you would like enabled.
Some of these will generate errors if your car was not fitted with them in the first place.
(Eg Magnetic Ride Control, Hot Oil Temperature warning, Caprice Auto leveling headlamps)
Some can be safely enabled without causing any problems, however they wont work unless you have other things installed / programmed
(Eg Tyre Pressure Monitoring System)
And some can be enabled regardless of what options you have fitted.
(Eg Seatbelt warning chime disabled, Sport shift display for some auto models, Police trap speed mode, etc)

Hope this helps

It helps quite a bit, thank you. I can't PM you for more info when I'm on my mobile but when I get home I'll shoot you one. :)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Ok, got the old system out and hvac. The car is looking mighty bare haha.
I checked out the Stereo cages and they look the same anyone no what the difference is?

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Got the stuff back today from DoubleDip hopefully have it all in this week :)

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
Hmm can't get the gps antenna to pick up. Says fix: searching.
Any ideas