Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS stutter/lag/miss/surge under load

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Hi all,
Picked up my ve series 2 ss a couple weeks ago. Ive got a warranty on it which is probably good for sfa, because they always manage to find a way to void the claims haha (kacare).

The best way i can desribe the issue is a pulsing surge or lag under load. Its a manual and has 130,000ks with a full service history. It will do it in any gear under load (its more prominent in the higher gears), eg. Doing 40kmh in 4th and putting your foot down, or doing 100kmh in 6th and putting your foot down. It doesnt feel or sound like a typical miss which is caused by a plug or lead and drops a whole cylinder. It almost feels like youre driving along and getting hit with large pulses of oncoming air that are strong enough to slow the car intermittently. Or the feeling you get when braking in a car with warped rotors, but obviously under load as opposed to braking.

Due to the service history im not thinking its a fuel filter issue. My thought is possibly the coils breaking down under load?

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Could it be something to do with this torque management system that i briefly read about - and admittedly know nothing about.

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
At 40 in 4th and 100 in 6th there isn't a lot of revs happening.

See what 40 in 3rd and 100 in 5th feels like.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
I get what youre saying, and i have tried this. It still happens. Even at those revs and gear ratios it shouldnt surge or stutter intermittently under load. Itd just go nowhere quickly, but still be smooth.

I tried searching similar symptoms but didnt find much. I know the coils could be an issue on earlier 'L' models. I should be able to find a workshop with a laptop that can be hooked up for live 'on the road' testing. But im hoping the forum can shed some light.

Given its under warranty i dont want to prod and pry myself.

Just hoping im not the only one to experience this.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm not sure it is a misfire thing as oppossed to a mechanical resistance thing.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it was a mechanical resistance it would be doing it all the time i would imagine, not just under load at lower rpm?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My theory is low rpm, incorrect gearing & ~1,800 kgs could create mechanical resistance.