Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS throwing codes and missfire

VESS08WAG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Hi Guys
I was driving my 08 ve ss sports wagon the other day and all of a sudden it started spluttering misfiring. I pulled out my scan tool and initially had a code for missfire cylinder 3, and p0171 lean on bank 1. I cleared the codes and drove home in limp mode. Car felt like it was on 4 cylinders most of the time but would intermittently jump back into life for a few seconds and run fine. I was on the freeway so thought I’d observe the scan tool and what I’ve noticed is bank 1 long term fuel trims are over 20%, bank 1 o2 sensor 1 reads 0.00v nearly all the time and same with sensor 2. So I read the codes again and now I get p0171 bank 1 to lean and p0300 random cylinder missfire. My thoughts are o2’s are fried ?? Or I have a bad earth on that bank. Cause I pulled the passenger side plugs and the are clearly all not firing as they are black or wet from fuel. I haven’t done anything to the car for me to cause anything besides filling my tank with 98 fuel, and like I said this started after a good 30min drive.
Could someone please help me?
What are your thoughts?
Where are the earths for injectors located in engine bay? And earths for the coils?

Thanks heaps in advance guys.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Pull the rockers off and inspect the valves and springs for anything obvious. Easy job.

Clean and inspect the harness plug at the back of the motor. CO Contact cleaner. @lout had a couple of other sprays to use as well. Check for loose pins. I don’t have the plug pin outs at hand to test injector circuits.

Pull the injectors and service them. Can get kits for them and even combined with a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and a cheap injector pulse tester, you can get them cleaned up well.

As for the rest, well you need far more advanced equipment to find the fault. Oscilloscope and a high end scan tool that can poke around in circuits.

If the o2’s are rooted, why? That might be a symptom rather than a cause.

VESS08WAG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Yeah that’s my thoughts on the o2’s. the thing that gets me is it comes back to life now and again. Which is what makes me think earth issue. I did notice in engineering mode my battery % was low. So I’ve put the battery on charge just to see if that’s the issue.
I did notice the very front o2 (on the missing bank) looks like it got really hot as it had white residue on it.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the 02 reading around 0.0mv is super lean which is also why its hot looking, the injectors are earthed by the ecu as that is what pulses them, they share a common power/fuse with the coils power, what are the short term fuel trims showing ? they are a more instant reading of the actual situation going on fuel wise

VESS08WAG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
the 02 reading around 0.0mv is super lean which is also why its hot looking, the injectors are earthed by the ecu as that is what pulses them, they share a common power/fuse with the coils power, what are the short term fuel trims showing ? they are a more instant reading of the actual situation going on fuel wise
Short Term fuel trims on that bank are off the scale as well over 20%, I’ve noticed pauses on the STFT on the scan tool,
This is doing my head in. If I’d changed something or touched something then I could work it out but like I said car was driving fine then this.
I started the car today for the first 10 seconds everything was fine no miss. Then the miss came back and is consistently there.

So when you say fused? Do you mean a physical fuse or a pcb mounted fuse?
Is there an earth on the l98 head that might be dirty? Where does the coils earth on the passenger side? Please any help is appreciated as this is my daily and atm have no car can drive.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
change out your spark plugs and reset your fuel trims
then see what it is like in open loop and then closed loop
remember a misfire allows unburnt oxygen into exhaust which O2 then richen entire bank
which then fouls other spark plugs
which is what i suspect you have happening

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they have a fuse in the fuse box for both injectors and coils for each bank, if u lost power from fuse to injectors then u loose power to coils as well, there should be an earth on each head for the coils and data, can swap the 02 so they are in opposite side and then see if the issue stays with the bank or goes to the other side then u know if its a sensor issue or a bank issue, it will be fine at first start because u will be in open loop but then sounds like soon as it goes into closed loop the issue is there, if ur sensor is whitish from lean then the plugs should also be showing the same at there tips as u take each out see what each cylinder is like, if a sensor is unplugged it will go to 450mv so being at 0v shows something is happening

VESS08WAG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Ok, so today started the car and right off the bat car misfired. I reset all DTC and then got the car up to about 2.5k rpm where I noticed the STFT will occasionally go back into range I watched the STFT actually go -10% to correct the LTFT. Now all this happens on bank 1, I’ve also noticed the pause In STFT.
Question I have is:
Which side is bank 1? Drivers?
Also does anyone know location on where the coils earth?
tomorrow I’ll pull all plugs and take a pic of the difference between banks.
The fact that the car comes good every now and again, makes me think it’s not mechanical. I dunno I’m pulling my hair out. I’m an expert on Nissan Rb online six motors but LS motor is doing my head in.
Thank you for all the help guys. If anyone has anymore ideas please your input is welcome.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
bank 1 is passenger side, the front of drivers side and rear of passenger side should have earth lug for the coils, its not main earth its spark earth then the coils have there second earth that in the loom, the LTFT are the average for an area of the STFT error, positive number mean its adding that % of fuel and negative numbers mean its taking % fuel out, both banks should be cycling 02 values between 100mv to 900mv when in closed loop

VESS08WAG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
bank 1 is passenger side, the front of drivers side and rear of passenger side should have earth lug for the coils, its not main earth its spark earth then the coils have there second earth that in the loom, the LTFT are the average for an area of the STFT error, positive number mean its adding that % of fuel and negative numbers mean its taking % fuel out, both banks should be cycling 02 values between 100mv to 900mv when in closed loop
Yep that’s why I don’t understand why I get p0171 to lean bank 1 when the plugs on passenger side are black.
O2 voltage on the scan tool will sit at 0.00v but I think that’s after it throws the code. I have VF ss o2’s I know sensor 2 have different plugs. But looking at pre cat O2’s the vf ones I have are square plugs which look similar. What I’m hoping is I can just depin the vf o2 and repin onto the ve plug.
The voltage does come back intermittently but don’t know if this is the main issue. My scan tool has a record function I’m going to try record this information real time. I just don’t know how to use the record function. It’s a scan tool from super cheap.
Anyway Ty to all who have helped. I hope to get this fixed soon. Any other ideas are appreciated.
Cheers guys