Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Tyre fitment advice pls 245's or 255's best pairing with 265 rears

Kev38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi there,

I'm going to get 265/35R20's on 20 x 10 rears for my '07 VE SS Sedan. Why 265's you ask? Well, the offsets on the rear wheels is only +42 and I'm told, and accept, that 275's will rub without having the guards rolled - which I don't want to do (or have a minimum of at least a +45 offset - which I don't have).

The fronts are 20 x 8.5 with a + 45 offset so I know either 245's or 255's will fit no problems. But my question is which would be the better pairing with the 265/35R20 rears: 245/35R20's or 255/35R20's ?

I don't want to run into any troubles with the ABS braking system or the traction control stability system or anything else that I have no idea about either or start getting error codes or what have you that would need to be sorted out etc.

Opinions or advice appreciated.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
And you don’t want to run into troubles with your insurance company either.
Do you?

Kev38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
aaah no I don't gossie - forgive my ignorance, why would I ?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Too much offset and your wheel bearings will fail prematurely. The load is no longer shared proportionally between both bearings.
Not to mention the change in scrub radius will cause you to steer sideways (possibly into the oncoming traffic) should there be a tyre/mechanical failure.

Kev38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Too much offset and your wheel bearings will fail prematurely. The load is no longer shared proportionally between both bearings.
Not to mention the change in scrub radius will cause you to steer sideways (possibly into the oncoming traffic) should there be a tyre/mechanical failure.

So are you telling me that +45 on the front wheels is too much offset for the wheel bearings Mechanic ?

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Any change from the engineered specs will have adverse effects on the vehicle in one way or another.
I've just looked up standard offset on your car (from your profile, not knowing exact vehicle specs etc) and the standard wheels seem to be in the range of 38 to 55mm offset. You might be ok.
My advice would be to get a second opinion from a wheel shop. Pretend you are interested in buying wheels or something and they'll look up what you can and can't fit.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
You already know that width can affect height ?... You can have say 235/45/17s and put on245/45/17s and youve changed the height...equals 9mm height difference.....The speedo will also be affected....at 60kmh you will be doing 60.8kmh insignificant perhaps but factors to be considered when choosing tyres .... Its not just a case of whacking some tyres on....ultimately it could cause abs probs if you get it wrong....ie... the sensors will have readings that tell it somethings not right...:eek: Lets assume we have 245s on the rear and 235s on the front and the ABS system has a programmed buffer toleration level....lets keep in mind that at 60kmh the difference is .80 ... What happens if we floor it and go to 100kmh?....my guess is the difference rises.... and if it rises so as to exceed the toleration limit...the ABS light probably starts glowing.....probably not a good idea to piss of the ABS system......but go ahead if your into taking a gamble....

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Use your stock tyre size and the one you want

And less you have an AWD, going slightly higher or lower won't affect squat

There is a percentage that you cannot go past, but if I recall correctly it is 3% difference between ends, any more can affect stability control/ABS

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Any change from the engineered specs will have adverse effects on the vehicle in one way or another.
I've just looked up standard offset on your car (from your profile, not knowing exact vehicle specs etc) and the standard wheels seem to be in the range of 38 to 55mm offset. You might be ok.
My advice would be to get a second opinion from a wheel shop. Pretend you are interested in buying wheels or something and they'll look up what you can and can't fit.

Have a check up on the offsets used with HSV's...Those cars use exactly the same bearings as the base model car.

Factory fitament tyres with those are 245/35X20 on the front and 275/30X20 on the rear...

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-the-rear-with-20s.224742/page-2#post-2530416

Talking 36P offset

HSV offsets

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/will-it-rub.274893/page-2#post-3005832

More info on offsets when fitting 20X10's

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...10-on-the-front-and-20x11-on-the-rear.292349/

Must be plenty of Commodores out there waiting to have wheel bearings fail and the scrub radius changing considerably, which will lead to sideways steering

Last edited: