Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS XForce Cat-Back DIY install help!

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Well I have run into a massive problem, old exhaust came off now worries but the new X piece does not fit to the cats, not even close.

The cats have a knob on them which wont fit into the 2.5" pipe, see attached picture
photo-5.jpg

Totally stuck :(

I had the same problem you are having when I went to fit mine (The same ones as yours).
You need to remove the Tappered Rings that are on the Cat Flange. (The hump thing). They are a seperate peice that will come off using a screw driver and a hammer. You need to work it off. Bit of WD40 and it will come off easier than you think.
Once its off, the Pipe will fit in nicely to the cat pipe. (Requires a gasket).

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I had the same problem you are having when I went to fit mine (The same ones as yours).
You need to remove the Tappered Rings that are on the Cat Flange. (The hump thing). They are a seperate peice that will come off using a screw driver and a hammer. You need to work it off. Bit of WD40 and it will come off easier than you think.
Once its off, the Pipe will fit in nicely to the cat pipe. (Requires a gasket).

Thanks guys, just another question, should I be using locktite on the bolts?

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
All done guys, thanks heaps for your help! Couldnt have done it without you guys!

Managed to do it with just 2 rear jack stands and a 1.4t hydraulic jack, it was tight but doable. The only issue I had was that olive thing on the cat which was difficult to hammer with the low clearance I had.

The carmodders guide was spot on and helped me all the way through.

The sound is awesome (still breaking in) and is silent at 100km/h cruise.

The only thing that I am not happy with is the left hand muffler is sitting about an inch lower than the RHS and it didn't marry up well when I was fitting it. Not sure if the pipe was bent incorrectly or if the hanger bars on the muffler got bent. Did anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 296

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
Good on ya mate glad your happy. I've never fit one that lined up that bad. Try loosening the first flange, getting someone to hold the tips where you want them and then re tighten the bolts. If not, get some tighter hangers?

jayden.2.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Berlina
I do have that same issue currently, but am yet to find a solution :-(

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

R60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
I had the same problem untill I realised the rubber hanger has two sets of holes, so undo the rear muffler and re position in the higher set of holes. All good then. It had me beat for hours, I even bent the bars on the muffler to try and fix it then realised what the problem was.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Good old x force and their alignment issues.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
rear rubbers have 2 sets of holes, check you have them on the same ones each side mate

vanq69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks guys, I ended up bending the hangers. Both sides were in the same hole.

I have another issue though that has been bugging me. The exhaust came with a flange thing (see picture) but with only one gasket for it. I didn't really see the need for it so I left it out. Now however one side is slightly shorter than the other (the side that originally had it attached), I can only notice it because I am a perfectionist and it bothers me but I was wondering if it is worth putting in? What is its function or is it just to fix a slightly short pipe in the manufacture?
photo-6.jpg

Thanks