Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV how to change brake pads?

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
G'day all,

Just wondering how to go about changing the pads (no rotors etc.) on my SSV, I've read that you can loosen the top caliper bolt and remove the bottom caliper bolt, then swing the caliper up off the rotor, but how do you compress the pistons? I've also read it's bad for the ABS to have fluid pushed back through it (like what happens when you compress the pistons), so how do you avoid that, without needing to bleed the brakes afterwards?

Cheers!

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I did the brakes on my WM Caprice not long ago (pretty much a VE...) and it was pretty simple. The same as any other car really... I compressed the piston back into the caliper using a C Clamp and one of the old pads. I did the fronts, started the car and pumped the brakes to drop the fluid level in the reservoir, then did the rears.

Pretty much just take off the bottom bolt, flip it up and take off the old pads. then slide the caliper off completely. Take this chance to inspect your old pads though and make sure they wore 100% evenly. If they didnt (one side of the brake pad is thinner than the other) one of your slides is either seized, or not lubricated enough. If this is the case, take off the caliper mount, and clean out the glide hole with some degreaser, compressed air and a rag over it (so it doesnt go all over your face) then grease it up again with some high temp grease. Clean the actual glide too on the caliper.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Before wasting your money by just installing new pads, you really need to evaluate the condition of the rotors, if serviceable (i.e. how much metal left on them) and if they could be machind. Any scoring that exists on the rotors from the old pads, if rotors NOT machined, will be immediately transferred to the new pads likely lessening their efficiency.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
I've pretty much decided to get it done at a workshop, as I want the fluid changed as well, and maybe the rotors machined if needed (there is plenty of meat on them).