Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV manual gear changes.

ILLFLY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 08' Manual
i fitted the billet industries short shifter, made a massive difference to the feel of the of the shift, alot less truck like

mattyh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
So does it change just the feel of gear change. So not rough/clunky but smooth? Is this the only benefit?

TAS1981

Reaction score
Thread ressurection!

Well I have had my 07 SSV for about a week and driven it about 4 times only and I can only agree that so far my take on the manual is that its a tractor gearbox! (I might be exaggerating a bit!)

I had a little MX-5 previously and the 5 speed in that was literally rifle bolt like and glorious in comparison! 1st to 2nd feels like the synchro is a bit screwed but apparently "they all do that sir" so I will be doing a Penrite oil change and some G70 to silk it up a bit. Other than that I think I will just get used to it! (Note I have only ever owned manuals).

I also noticed that they stall easily....what I think I mean by that is as I am used to turbo (read laggy at low revs) or under powered cars and therefore I think I am being hesitant on the throttle when pulling away at the moment and therefore I tend to stall when manouvering occasionally. Again I think this is just getting used to it. I also find low rev gear changes "uncomfortable" in that they are smoother when you give it some beans and also when edging around or pulling up to lights etc there is definitely transmission "slack" when taking your foot off the throttle and coasting in gear, a back and forth clunk at first feeling close to stall.

From my experience a shortened / quick / rip shifter exacerbates gear shift problems especially if its synchro type issues, on my old Subaru STi that was certainly the case, so I will be avoiding.

Anyway apart from me needing to man up and drive properly I mainly worry about the missus driving it as a bit more of a timid driver! I'll report back with how I go with the fluid change...

Can anyone point me to a guide / how to with pics where the bung and fill point are on the T56?

Cheers, Tom
PS Despite these minor issues loving the car so far!

mattyh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Thread ressurection!

Well I have had my 07 SSV for about a week and driven it about 4 times only and I can only agree that so far my take on the manual is that its a tractor gearbox! (I might be exaggerating a bit!)

I had a little MX-5 previously and the 5 speed in that was literally rifle bolt like and glorious in comparison! 1st to 2nd feels like the synchro is a bit screwed but apparently "they all do that sir" so I will be doing a Penrite oil change and some G70 to silk it up a bit. Other than that I think I will just get used to it! (Note I have only ever owned manuals).

I also noticed that they stall easily....what I think I mean by that is as I am used to turbo (read laggy at low revs) or under powered cars and therefore I think I am being hesitant on the throttle when pulling away at the moment and therefore I tend to stall when manouvering occasionally. Again I think this is just getting used to it. I also find low rev gear changes "uncomfortable" in that they are smoother when you give it some beans and also when edging around or pulling up to lights etc there is definitely transmission "slack" when taking your foot off the throttle and coasting in gear, a back and forth clunk at first feeling close to stall.

From my experience a shortened / quick / rip shifter exacerbates gear shift problems especially if its synchro type issues, on my old Subaru STi that was certainly the case, so I will be avoiding.

Anyway apart from me needing to man up and drive properly I mainly worry about the missus driving it as a bit more of a timid driver! I'll report back with how I go with the fluid change...

Can anyone point me to a guide / how to with pics where the bung and fill point are on the T56?

Cheers, Tom
PS Despite these minor issues loving the car so far!

It's like you took the words out of my brain and posted them here.

100% agree with everything you said man.

It's weird that it needs more stick to help gear changes, I've been driving a few months now and still really haven't mastered it. (just when you think you have...... Cla clunk)

I stalled probably 6 times during my first 2 weeks and every now and then I take off from the lights (albeit sluggishly) in third Haha.

I drive like such a granny all the time, mainly for fuel, as I work 30km from home. But I tell you what, when I get pissed off with other drives or just feel like opening her up it brings a smile to my face every time.

First v8, first manual (that I've owned) cannot be happier.

I'm just learning down gearing, can't quite get the feet right yet but I'm close.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Had the same problem sort of changed to a rip shifter and has been an even bigger pleasure to drive. I also changed my oil to transmax Z

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Anyway apart from me needing to man up and drive properly I mainly worry about the missus driving it as a bit more of a timid driver!

if anything like my misses she will drive carefully while you are in sight/ear shot and give it some stick when you can't see/hear it :)

as for the bungs/fill points, have you downloaded a service manual yet? and also there was some tech notice to add an extra 500ml of trans fluid to help with some shift issues.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
get the ripshifter (or other) it will make a huge difference to your gear changes, oil change will also make a difference (I used penrite)

wayneforrest

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Even the latest VF have the T56. Only HSV have the TR6060 and that has been from around 2009

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
Even the latest VF have the T56. Only HSV have the TR6060 and that has been from around 2009

Are you sure about that? The trans code on my M12.5 VE is MER. I thought all the T56s were MM6 or M12?