Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 "clunk"

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
srry mate i said most mechanics not all at dealerships but mostly the apprentices that stay at the dealer ships they only see one brand most of the time this limets there learning

So from what i can gather from your barely legible post is that you shouldnt take your Holden to a Holden dealer because thats the main brand they deal with so it limits their learning? Doesnt make much sense to me.

Im also a Holden "Technician" and we deal with pretty much every brand. The used car lot has everything in there which we service and repair on a daily basis.

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
please excuse my thread digging, but can someone possibly post a photo of a VE fitted with front spring insulators ? I want to check if mine has them as i have this infamous knock and its out of warranty .... CHEERS !!

again sorry for thread digging, i think i have this clunking problem possibly caused by lack of spring 'insulators'. mines an 07 ss and i get a popping clunky metalic sound every now and then when the car is cold. it happens on all four corners and stops usually after about 30 seconds of driving. this makes me think its the insulator problem ? the cars out of warranty and im not a bottomless pit of money so i wanna get the best idea of diagnosis myself before taking it anywhere. im thinking of changing springs and shocks soon. should i get the clunk checked out first? do the spring 'insulators' come on king springs? or is it a seperate part ? any help appreciated!!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, '23 hilux SR5, E3 senator, 85 VK LS1
Just had my new pedders struts put in and this noise is very noticable at low speeds over small bumps, especially my driveway. Taking it back to the suspension joint today to get it checked out. I will mention the mounts and everything but i would've assumed they would have replaced or at least checked them out when they were out of the car?

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
mines similar - noticeable at slow speeds over rough surface like a crushed rock d/way. let us know how you go

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
VE noises...

I've owned a VE since March 2011. So far its got 5000 K's on it and I'm already worried where the new creaks and clunks are headed.

This car replaced a 250 000K VT and a VY and so far its got more creaks and unusual clunks in the front end than either of them ever had. For a car of this vintage, that's pretty poor. I thought the VE's are the next step forward in chassis and susp evolution. Noise and and driveline feedback appears to be greater than the models it replaced.

After you get aware of the ABS system performing its double knock in the engine compartment everytime you restart and go beyond 30 KMH you can rule that noise out.

If I reverse out of say a driveway and touch the brakes for the change of direction gear shift, I get a knock or creak in the front strut location.

When you drive slowly (say a carpark) and there is a step change in the pavement (2cm) the front feels loose and clunky. Annoys the crap out of me...

I've completely checked all suspension and steering components for faults, movement, etc (without any disassembly) and can't see anything wrong. It appears to be similar to the strut insulator issue mentioned here but shorely a 12/10 build would be updated?

Of course I will be bringing this to a dealers attention but after reading this thread is doesn't sound like a one-off problem.

nick2408

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Mounts

Hey,
Not to sure if it's the same clunk noise but I had a similar noise when I got up the revs in a lower gear. Found out the engine mounts had collapsed. Also a common Problem with the Ve. Was 400 to replace them through Holden.