Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 coolant change

Prtyboy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversary 08
Reviving an old thread here but I have found a solution for those doing this at home that will help get the right coolant mix into a VE alloytec. The OP states after flushing the system with water that he could only fit in 3.5lts of coolant concentrate, meaning theres 6.5lts water left in system and that gives you a 35% mixture instead of the 50% it needs. Short of taking the car into a workshop so they can get the remaining 6.5lts of water out using compressed air, I asked around to find another solution. I found a maths wiz and posed him the question "If I have 10lts of a mix thats 35% coolant, how much do I need to drain out, then add concentrate to, so I end up with a 50% mix" and the short answer is "2.31lts". My maths is basic, so I won't pretend to understand how to calculate this equation, but I'll leave the working out here incase you need to get answers in the future with different quantities. He told me that its a "mixture equation" and here it is:
x (0.35) + (10-x)(1) = 10(0.5)
0.35x + 10-x = 5
-0.65x = -5
x = 7.69
This is all over my head but if you have a VE alloytec and want the right mixture coolant, then flush, add 3.5lts concentrate, let it mix together, drain 2.31lts, add concentrate and you're set. If you have other quantities and need to work out the right mixtures then you need to use the mixture equation to work it out if you're capable, or find a maths wiz like I did and throw it at him to crunch for you. Hope this helps someone else whose as particular with their cars as I am.