Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Cylinder Missfires

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`ll have to check the scanner to see if it can show fuel trims.
Don`t know what I`ll be looking at but I`ll have a go.
I`ve seen pics of the carbon.
3 weeks post op so won`t be playing with cars for awhile.
Do I have to be driving to get the trims or at idle?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
idle is fine

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
What do you think of Lanceee1995 problem?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If plugs and coilpacks are good it could be an injector or even an ECU issue

VGUTECHICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 SIDI sedan
Hey guys I'm having major issues with my 2009 SV6 SIDI too with it dropping cylinders and I'm hoping you might have some ideas as my mechanics are fresh out and I'm about ready to torch my car.

First time it occurred was in late July. It was booked in to the local Holden dealer for it's 105km service later that week so I had it towed there. They diagnosed the issue as a faulty injector in #2 so they replaced that, serviced it and 1.5 weeks later I was on my way. Driving it down to Queensland Raceway for the V8 Supercars after I picked the car up I stopped for a drink. Start the car up again and CEL comes on. Car seemed to be running ok but took it to nearest Holden dealer(Llewellyns, Ipswich) and they diagnosed PO157 fault, cleared it and I was on my way.

A couple of weeks later I've run to town(90km), run around town to a few places and stopped for lunch. Come out and car is hard to start and running rough. Call RACQ who's tech comes out and puts the scan gauge on it for codes P0304, P0157, P0299, P0089, P0300, P0306. He asked if Holden had changed the spark plugs or suggested it and I said no they hadn't. He said it was quite often the cause of these dramas in the SIDI's and suggested I had it done. Once codes were cleared car ran fine but I had it towed to a mechanic he recommended to be on the safe side. They tested it multiple times and couldn't replicate the faults. Taking the RACQ guys advice we put new spark plugs in it and did a throttle body and intake clean.

Fast forward to the end of September and I've driven the car about 3/4 times since I picked it up from the mechanic. Decided to give it one last final run before heading to Bathurst for the 1000. Drove about 130km in one direction and started on my return journey when about 30km down the road coming out of some roadworks(70km zone) and I accelerated gently and she shudders, CEL comes on and dropped cylinders. Get a tow back to same mechanic and my Bathurst dreams came to a screeching halt. I don't have a list of codes for it this time but it dropped #1 so I'm assuming it was P0301 code. Mechanic kept the car for several weeks driving it daily and unable to replicate the issue again. Coils on #1 and #2 were swapped to see if #2 was affected next time so it could be put down to a faulty coil.

Again fast forward to a lovely rainy Saturday in November and I'm travelling in an 80km zone up an incline and there she goes again. More dropped cylinders! Upon the mechanics advice to try it I started the car on and off several times but this only sent it into limp mode. So another call to RACQ for a tow and I'm starting to get to know the tow truck driver a little too well. Dropped it off at same mechanic. Unsure of which cylinders were dropped this time or which codes but it apparently threw some fuel pressure codes too. At last something to work with! Compression tests were done and #1 failed a dry compression test but passed the wet compression test. Diagnosed as faulty #1 injector. Upon pulling off the intake manifold and removing the fuel pressure sensor they discovered the sensor was broken. Bingo we finally have an answer for all the issues. So I hit Holden up for a new fuel pressure sensor as they were the last people to touch that one. They came to the party and gave me a new sensor, injector #1 was replaced and I was on my way.

About 15km down the road going down an incline in a 100km zone there she goes again. This time she's dropped #1, #3 and #6. Only other code was P0300. Mechanics are trying to get approval through the warranty to change the remaining 4 injectors. I'm starting to think it's an ECU issue.

Please have you guys got any ideas as I'm frustrated out of my wits? This dumb A$$ car has basically been at the mechanics since July and I'm paying on something I can't even drive let alone sell. It's also a huge pain in the butt having to get someone to run me the 80-90km into town every time I need to pick the damn thing up and it's costing me a fortune in hire cars every time I get stranded in town.

WaGoN1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Sportswagon
Hey guys I'm having major issues with my 2009 SV6 SIDI too with it dropping cylinders and I'm hoping you might have some ideas as my mechanics are fresh out and I'm about ready to torch my car.

First time it occurred was in late July. It was booked in to the local Holden dealer for it's 105km service later that week so I had it towed there. They diagnosed the issue as a faulty injector in #2 so they replaced that, serviced it and 1.5 weeks later I was on my way. Driving it down to Queensland Raceway for the V8 Supercars after I picked the car up I stopped for a drink. Start the car up again and CEL comes on. Car seemed to be running ok but took it to nearest Holden dealer(Llewellyns, Ipswich) and they diagnosed PO157 fault, cleared it and I was on my way.

A couple of weeks later I've run to town(90km), run around town to a few places and stopped for lunch. Come out and car is hard to start and running rough. Call RACQ who's tech comes out and puts the scan gauge on it for codes P0304, P0157, P0299, P0089, P0300, P0306. He asked if Holden had changed the spark plugs or suggested it and I said no they hadn't. He said it was quite often the cause of these dramas in the SIDI's and suggested I had it done. Once codes were cleared car ran fine but I had it towed to a mechanic he recommended to be on the safe side. They tested it multiple times and couldn't replicate the faults. Taking the RACQ guys advice we put new spark plugs in it and did a throttle body and intake clean.

Fast forward to the end of September and I've driven the car about 3/4 times since I picked it up from the mechanic. Decided to give it one last final run before heading to Bathurst for the 1000. Drove about 130km in one direction and started on my return journey when about 30km down the road coming out of some roadworks(70km zone) and I accelerated gently and she shudders, CEL comes on and dropped cylinders. Get a tow back to same mechanic and my Bathurst dreams came to a screeching halt. I don't have a list of codes for it this time but it dropped #1 so I'm assuming it was P0301 code. Mechanic kept the car for several weeks driving it daily and unable to replicate the issue again. Coils on #1 and #2 were swapped to see if #2 was affected next time so it could be put down to a faulty coil.

Again fast forward to a lovely rainy Saturday in November and I'm travelling in an 80km zone up an incline and there she goes again. More dropped cylinders! Upon the mechanics advice to try it I started the car on and off several times but this only sent it into limp mode. So another call to RACQ for a tow and I'm starting to get to know the tow truck driver a little too well. Dropped it off at same mechanic. Unsure of which cylinders were dropped this time or which codes but it apparently threw some fuel pressure codes too. At last something to work with! Compression tests were done and #1 failed a dry compression test but passed the wet compression test. Diagnosed as faulty #1 injector. Upon pulling off the intake manifold and removing the fuel pressure sensor they discovered the sensor was broken. Bingo we finally have an answer for all the issues. So I hit Holden up for a new fuel pressure sensor as they were the last people to touch that one. They came to the party and gave me a new sensor, injector #1 was replaced and I was on my way.

About 15km down the road going down an incline in a 100km zone there she goes again. This time she's dropped #1, #3 and #6. Only other code was P0300. Mechanics are trying to get approval through the warranty to change the remaining 4 injectors. I'm starting to think it's an ECU issue.

Please have you guys got any ideas as I'm frustrated out of my wits? This dumb A$$ car has basically been at the mechanics since July and I'm paying on something I can't even drive let alone sell. It's also a huge pain in the butt having to get someone to run me the 80-90km into town every time I need to pick the damn thing up and it's costing me a fortune in hire cars every time I get stranded in town.
Hi, did you end up finding out what was wrong with your car? I'm having the exact same problems and have no idea where to go next, I'm hoping you found the solution?

Hi, did you end up figuring out what was wrong with your car? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2010 VE Sportswagon. I'm hoping you found what the issue was? Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A decent mechanic will fault find further using a scope to see wave forms. That determines if the misfire is the coil or related to other contributing circumstances. There are cheap coils and good ones around.

There are also a flood of Chinesium knock off NGK, Champion and AC Delco plugs around that even the keenest eye can miss and can find their way into reputable supply chains.

morriy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore sidi v6
He changed the coil packs again and again, initially changed the sparks so they're allgood I assume. The first code was the same as the second so I'm not too sure if that means anything?
Changing coils and spark plugs aren't going to zilch on a ve commodore that's misfiring on cylinders 1 3 and 5, start looking at the sensor 02 in the front, and it has nothing to with fuel injectors or hi fuel petrol pump,okay,im taking mine to a really good machanic and I'll get back to you when he finds out the problem.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol
Solid assured advice. Followed by, “I’m taking mine to a really good mechanic” = I don’t know.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I could point out a few places in the factory manual produced by the people that designed and made the car that says otherwise.