Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 ECM Dramas

Lizard69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi i have an issue with the ECM in my VE Series 2. The ECM is fine when the engine is cold but when the engine gets to around the mid 90 degrees it fails
and kills the engine and starts getting the chatter of the throttle and relays and engine light on the dash constantly. The only code that it throws is P0513 imobilizer key. If i wait a few minutes it will start and run again until the temp gets into the 90s again.
Reading a few similar threads here they all lead to the ECM failing.
I am wondering if it a heat sink issue or component issue within the ECM. Has anyone pulled one apart, is there heatsink paste like on pc processors that may have deteriorated over time? would be a easy fix if so.
Apart from that i guess i will track down a second hand one. What is the cheapest option to write the vin and immo data to another ECM?

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The items below are from the Holden VE Service Manual and may help you. The relearn process is quite involved:

1681897700831.png

1681897945640.png

Lizard69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for the reply, pretty new to VEs I have a tactrix openport 2 which i use for my ford is there any holden software that would use this to do as above and also write the vin to a new ECM or will i have to buy a tech2 or similar.

Cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I think a Tech2 will need to be registered and be able to connect to a server to program keys on VE’s

Other Units can/could possible connect and scan/program keys

We’re are you located ?, as a JC member maybe able to assist,
I did notice your location is on Australia, being Aus is 7,688 mill square k/m’s.

Last edited:

Lizard69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks mate i am in Queensland, probably a bit far away from Melbourne though. These VEs seem hard to find good info on, the more i read the deeper in the hole i seem to get.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Buy a ECM from a wrecker exactly the same and get it cloned. You are in Qld and there are guys there that do it all the time.
You can even express post it in and get it back 2 - 3 days later.
I think they charge $100 plus postage.

Lizard69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ended up getting an ECM from the wreckers and cloned it with VE ECU Linker. I might track down another one and do the same and chuck it in the boot for a bit of insurance, hate being stranded.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ended up getting an ECM from the wreckers and cloned it with VE ECU Linker. I might track down another one and do the same and chuck it in the boot for a bit of insurance, hate being stranded.
No offence but your first post in this thread is asking what is the cheapest option to write the vin to a secondhand ECM and in your last post you have the ability to clone a ECM with VE ECU Linker!?!
If you had the skills to clone a ECM then the first question about heat sinks and paste seems rather odd like you knew nothing about ECM/S.

Lizard69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
2 days ago i knew nothing of what to do with holden ECMs, After reading for 2 days i gave in and bought VE ECU Linker. Could have paid someone to do it but i like doing **** myself.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 days ago i knew nothing of what to do with holden ECMs, After reading for 2 days i gave in and bought VE ECU Linker. Could have paid someone to do it but i like doing **** myself.
Fair enough but $500 for the software you must be keen.