Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 supercharger kits from CAPA

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
The concept of a charged 6 is quite interesting to me especially considering the changeover for a new SS for me would be 15k, the main concern i have as mentioned above is the reliability of the standard parts of the car eg clutch and diff etc, if the car wasnt flattened every day off the week do you think it could handle such an upgrade for the rest of its life?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
If you don't do burnouts, dropping the clutch and ripping skids etc I'm sure it would hold up fine... I still think the weakest part would probably be the clutch. Might want to upgrade ya brakes too but I don't see why you wouldn't get away with it.
I'd pickup a second hand pair of SS brakes and discs and throw those on.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
The concept of a charged 6 is quite interesting to me especially considering the changeover for a new SS for me would be 15k, the main concern i have as mentioned above is the reliability of the standard parts of the car eg clutch and diff etc, if the car wasnt flattened every day off the week do you think it could handle such an upgrade for the rest of its life?

Even if you look after it, you are still going to give it some every now and again... otherwise why mod it :).
And it's at these times you weaken things. I once blew apart 3rd gear on a replacement gearbox with 24 hours of getting it installed. Gentle driving, taking it real easy.... but the thing just wasnt designed for the extra power. Now, I'm not saying that the SV6 drivetrain will only last you a few days.... but it's only commonsense that Holden arent going to spend money making a bulletproof drivetrain when its not necessary. Less metal, less weight, less cost.... all good things when you are trying to deliver a platform at a certain price.

As for the question posed.... no, it will not handle it for the rest of its life. But are you planning on keeping it for that long anyway?
If this is going to be 'a keeper' for many years to come, maybe the supercharged option is a feasible one.... but just keep that 15k handy, cause I reckon you'll spend it over the first few years ;).

Btw that 15k upgrade cost to SS doesnt just pay for an engine remember- and come resale (you WILL sell your baby one day), you'll get some of it back.

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
are their any vids out there of this unit in action? maybe like a 0-100 just for some inspiration

I drove my mates xr6 turbo fg on a 1400km rd trip put the foot down feels like your in a jet plane taking off, personally prefer this efforless smooth powerful sound over a banging V8

get an xr6 then? well im not a big fan of the interiour and exteriour, quite like my ve :)

sv6 turbo : interested

munga2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hey mate completly your choice but ive seen a ve ss with acapa super charger big fuel pump injecters cooler ecu ect cost him about 16. if you wanna stay with the 6 you have to go a strocker kit atleast or a blower kit!! up to you depends how much cash you have good luck!!!

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
For VE V6 owners contemplating this, I've done it. It cost about 10,000 for the kit, and a bit extra on top for the labour. Was out of action for under a week while it got fitted and tested, but that's it. I've got it running at 5psi, and seriously, I'm happy with that. It gives me more than enough punch to zip ahead of the pack comfortably, and you gotta love the whine of the supercharger in action. I thought it was going to be a pig on the fuel, but I've noticed no difference.
As for why I bothered to do it? Why the hell not? I was curious just how far I can tweak a V6 from being the poor cousin to a V8, to a "phwoar" machine.
Engine reliability hasn't been an issue at all, although I do run it on nothing but BP Ultimate and it is regularly serviced. The supercharger had one issue with the pully making a freaking squeaky squeaky noise (lol) but that was easily taken care of (properly). Insurance is through Shannons, but I do have the advantage of age and spotless record.
Regrets with getting it done? None, bloody great modification to the machine which is so enjoyable to drive.
*Edit* Almost forgot, if you're married, tell the missus it cost about half :p

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
the aisin gearbox (manual) is supposed to be rated for 470nm.. have you had any issues? or is urs an auto?

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I've got the 6 speed manual, and no dramas at all. Mind you, going from the VY to the VE, it does feel really effortless to change gears and clutch

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk