Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Ute hard lid electronic gremlins

DougoMundo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Lumina
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has advice on the following for a ve ss ute .

1. 12v cigarette power
Not power at the plug or at the 2pin connector beneath the Centre console.
Have checked the fuse and even plugged in another addafuse in its location to verify it is working.
Have lost power it seems between the fuse box and the 2pin connector

2. Ute hard lid central locking.
Previously working flawlessly, the hard lid servo motor only receives voltage whilst locking, but not unlocking. This has been checked at the 2pin connector at the servo motor.

Could these two be linked? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check for voltage just behind the pin in the plug. Could be damaged wire in the crimp.

This is where this cheap gadget will save you hundreds of dollars and time you’ll never get back.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1752208...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Puts a signal through the wire. You wave the magic wand along the harness until you get a weak signal or no signal. Just found the break.
$20-$25. Done.

As for the door, unplug the door harness at the chassis. Pull back the weather boot at the chassis side with a nylon pry tool. Then you can access the plug. Check for continuity in the door harness. Wiggle and move the harness as the door would and see if you can induce a fault in continuity.

Again, that tool could be used to do it as well.

We use a version of these. In this case the cheap option works perfectly on cars.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And just like that Losh has found another tool he needs to add to the collection.

DougoMundo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Lumina
Thanks mate, will definitely grab that.

As for the 12v, I checked for voltage at both sides of the harness 2 pin plug. Nada.

And I forgot to clarify, the central locking was for the hard lid, not the door.
I'm curious if there's a separate fuse for the hard lid connection, as the doors unlock/lock fine, just unlocking the lid is problematic.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, check at each end but if the wire is damaged immediately behind the crimp for the pin that is in the plug, you’re not going to have continuity.

Inspect the 12v socket for broken solders too.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You would be best to download the factory manual to get the wiring diagrams. Theres a link or two here on the forum to a download. A quick google will find it. Huge PDF.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks mate, will definitely grab that.

As for the 12v, I checked for voltage at both sides of the harness 2 pin plug. Nada.

And I forgot to clarify, the central locking was for the hard lid, not the door.
I'm curious if there's a separate fuse for the hard lid connection, as the doors unlock/lock fine, just unlocking the lid is problematic.
Does the key work to unlock the hard lid?

DougoMundo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Lumina
Does the key work to unlock the hard lid?
This morning, yes. Lock/unlock via the key engaged the servo in the lid in and out.
Perhaps my fiddling with the fuses relating to the 12v power connection I had buggered something.
Now the servo only activates (receives voltage) during a key lock but not unlock

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
This morning, yes. Lock/unlock via the key engaged the servo in the lid in and out.
Perhaps my fiddling with the fuses relating to the 12v power connection I had buggered something.
Now the servo only activates (receives voltage) during a key lock but not unlock
Can you still open the hard lid? With the key?