Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V6 conversion to V8??? ANYBODY EVER DONE IT!!!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hey everyone obviously this comment started around 2012 and now it is 2017 now so what would you say it would cost to do an engine conversion from V6 to V8 now? For a 2007 ve omega?

Too much. Most sane conversion is to sell the Omega and buy an SS, it's not like they're thin on the ground, and why would you go to the effort of converting an Omega? So much stuff has to be changed that you might as well get another car (yes, even if you have a donor car).

187Ghost

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
Too much. Most sane conversion is to sell the Omega and buy an SS, it's not like they're thin on the ground, and why would you go to the effort of converting an Omega? So much stuff has to be changed that you might as well get another car (yes, even if you have a donor car).
Yeah you are right _R_J_K_, with getting a whole new car insteed of getting a **** load of parts and money ect ect but i dont have the money to buy a car and i was wanting to do this over a few years not all in one go

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i was wanting to do this over a few years not all in one go

That makes even less sense to me. You will never finish the project with a plan that long and vague. If your Omega is your daily you will also have to factor in the cost of another car while the Omega is off the road for "a few years".

Instead of having a haphazard project sitting for a couple of years (with no end date) that will involve possibly hundreds of hours, random V6 to V8 problems, and possibly end up costing more than an SS after all those costs and years, why don't you just save for a couple of years (i.e. do none of the aforementioned) and buy something factory built when you've got the cash?

Honestly, it's so much effort for so little gain when the car you want already exists. Think bigger picture.

Last edited:

187Ghost

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve
That makes even less sense to me. You will never finish the project with a plan that long and vague. If your Omega is your daily you will also have to factor in the cost of another car while the Omega is off the road for "a few years".

Instead of having a haphazard project sitting for a couple of years (with no end date) that will involve possibly hundreds of hours, random V6 to V8 problems, and possibly end up costing more than an SS after all those costs and years, why don't you just save for a couple of years (i.e. do none of the aforementioned) and buy something factory built when you've got the cash?

Honestly, it's so much effort for so little gain when the car you want already exists. Think bigger picture.

Yeah i hear you it dose make sense what you're saying it's just somthing I've allways wanted to do to have an project car but yeah you're starting to make me think the other way thanks for you're help and advice i appreciate it more than you know.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Yeah i hear you it dose make sense what you're saying it's just somthing I've allways wanted to do to have an project car but yeah you're starting to make me think the other way thanks for you're help and advice i appreciate it more than you know.
Bear in mind you'll be needing transmission as well, given the Omega would be a 4 speed auto, upgrade front brakes at least and hopefully you wouldn't leave it on 16" wheels. A lot of expense and time to do this. I suspect it would be a money pit, and the car would still be worth nothing at the end of it.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Have to agree. So much work for so little outcome.
Be better to sell and buy a SS. They look better too :)

Or Supercharge your 6 :p

Jayce230315

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve sv6 commodore
Ok so so far I haven’t actually found a post that tells you why you need so here we go, first if you’ll need to buy the v8 engine that you want (I’d suggest a v8 engine from the same series as the car you’ve already got) you will need to buy all the engine and ecu wiring loom, you’ll need a new radiator new fuel pump, new transmission new tail shaft and look that’s not even all of it, what I suggest is buying a cheap second hand v8 and esentially taking everything out of it for your car

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Ok so so far I haven’t actually found a post that tells you why you need so here we go, first if you’ll need to buy the v8 engine that you want (I’d suggest a v8 engine from the same series as the car you’ve already got) you will need to buy all the engine and ecu wiring loom, you’ll need a new radiator new fuel pump, new transmission new tail shaft and look that’s not even all of it, what I suggest is buying a cheap second hand v8 and esentially taking everything out of it for your car
Have you done it, or is that just super generic advice?