Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V6 Engine Vibration at Idle

superflyte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Formula Holden
I have an 08 VE V6 with around 180k on it. I'm getting a vibration at idle, but only once at normal temps (first start-up with slightly higher rpm is fine)

Driving is fine, with no noticeable vibration.

I've changed the drive belt, pulleys and tensioner unit, but it still does it. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Cheers

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I would check if it's not idling too low because of a dirty MAF or throttle body.

Android

Reaction score
Website
www.androidsnetwork.com
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY9.5
We found in the wifes VP that the battery was knackered, so, at idle (Cold engine) while it started, idling was as rough as.
Put a multimeter across the terminals when starting, if it drops below abut 8v, time to look for a new battery.
Ours dropped to 5.2v while cranking.

If your meter has a Minimum-Maximum feature, it helps.
Another thing that may help, is accessing the Engineering menu (If its supported) before starting

Jake96

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ute v6
Cheers guys. Turned out to be the engine mounts...
Hey mate mine has a real bad vibration on idle aswell exactly how yours sounds I've taken it to 2 different mechanics and they have both confirmed my engine mounts are stuffed. After replacing yours did it end up fixing the rough idle? Cheers mate

poboxford

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega LPG
I have an 08 VE V6 with around 180k on it. I'm getting a vibration at idle, but only once at normal temps (first start-up with slightly higher rpm is fine)

Driving is fine, with no noticeable vibration.

I've changed the drive belt, pulleys and tensioner unit, but it still does it. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Cheers

I had exactly the same symptoms. Turned out to be a lefthand engine mount.
I could feel it through the air box and manifold. This is what I did.

Climbed under the car, felt vibration in the LH engine mount but not on right. ... Sometimes they collapse and there is a metal skirt that rubs on the chassis. But not so obvious on mine, Only after removal I could see signs of hydrolic fluid leakage at the top of the mount.
Prove by taking the serpentine belt off and idling. Thus eliminating the tensioner, idler, alt ,a/c, or ps pump.

My tip for replacement, is to loosen off the top nut on the mount first before removing the 3 housing nuts.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Easy on a V6,
Not so on a V8.

poboxford

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega LPG
Hey mate mine has a real bad vibration on idle aswell exactly how yours sounds I've taken it to 2 different mechanics and they have both confirmed my engine mounts are stuffed. After replacing yours did it end up fixing the rough idle? Cheers mate
Yes fixed it instantly