Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE v8 Alternator Removal & Replacement

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
yeah I had the alternator light come on and off at times, I replaced the regulator and that fixed the problem its been 3 years now and no dash light

Viz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
That’s
yeah I had the alternator light come on and off at times, I replaced the regulator and that fixed the problem its been 3 years now and no dash light

Mine was most likely the regulator aswell it’s seems to be a common problem The easiest the way you can tell is turn your car onto engineering mode.. start the car if it reads over 14.8- 15v for a short time then drops back to 12+ this indicates the alternator is giving the battery a boost to replace the charge it took from starting the car.. the key here is the volts. After the boost up.. if it’s still on around 12v turn your lights on and put some load on it.. should go back to charging state.. anything around 13.5 brushes are on there way out..if it’s 14.2 and up it is heathy.
The next would be if the alternator light comes on after the top up is done or when the volts drop to 12 usually after a couple of minutes or so. This is a good indication the regulator is stuffed as it not telling computer to regulate back to the 14.2..

I could have changed the regulator but for 280 bucks and 3yrs warranty I chucked a entire clean new unit it instead..

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
That’s

Mine was most likely the regulator aswell it’s seems to be a common problem The easiest the way you can tell is turn your car onto engineering mode.. start the car if it reads over 14.8- 15v for a short time then drops back to 12+ this indicates the alternator is giving the battery a boost to replace the charge it took from starting the car.. the key here is the volts. After the boost up.. if it’s still on around 12v turn your lights on and put some load on it.. should go back to charging state.. anything around 13.5 brushes are on there way out..if it’s 14.2 and up it is heathy.
The next would be if the alternator light comes on after the top up is done or when the volts drop to 12 usually after a couple of minutes or so. This is a good indication the regulator is stuffed as it not telling computer to regulate back to the 14.2..

I could have changed the regulator but for 280 bucks and 3yrs warranty I chucked a entire clean new unit it instead..

Hey Viz,

I'm also having this issue. Where did you get your new alternator from and what brand was it?

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
Hi can anyone tell me where the regulator is located on the alternator and if it's difficult to access? I'd like to replace mine. Thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi can anyone tell me where the regulator is located on the alternator and if it's difficult to access? I'd like to replace mine. Thanks

Alternator voltage regulation is looked after by the BCM in later VE's, and VF's.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
ve alternator is computer controlled
there is no internal regulator

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
Thanks, does this include my 2010 series 1? In engineering mode the battery charge is stuck on 68%. The voltage is always around 14.9v. It's a brand new battery so getting concerned why the volts don't read much lower especially during the day with no load, eg lights off etc

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
includes 2010, 14.9v is a little high for agm batteries but not too far out
if you go for a long drive should drop right down to high 12v

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
Hi even after multiple long drives, the voltage settles from 14.9v - 15.1v. It's a brand new battery. The old battery did the same. What else could it be? Thanks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
is your alternator genuine or cheap dodgy rubbish