Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V8 L76 AFM Deactivator - Interests and Features Request

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
A VERY common request I seem to be getting is "Can I turn off AFM"?
For those that don't know what AFM is (Active Fuel Management), it is the feature in the L76-L77 V8's equipped with AFM which drops the vehicle to 4cylinders while cruising.

It seems most people want the ability to turn it off due to the (infamous) droning caused when AFM kicks in, especially with an exhaust upgraded fitted.

Due to the large requests, Iv done some preliminary investigation into this and have had some success!
I can keep the car in V8 mode without making any physical modifications to the car, it is all done using the cars communication line using factory messages to the car (No sensor tricking ect).

I have felt an instantaneous difference in my VE SS Ute Auto and can immediately notice and feel a smoother drive. Iv still got many kilometers of driving ahead of me for refining, but Im very excited about a non invasive AFM disable.

At the moment, I have the trusty R&D laptop on the passenger seat doing all the hardwork since its still in early stages. But I wanted to see if there is any particular features people would want to see?

For example:
- Plug and Play (Cant imagine it any other way??)
- Switch to enable/disable the device? Or just unplug it when not wanted?
- Ability to change at what vehicle speed/conditions the AFM disable engages?
- Customizable indication lights?

The complete opposite of this tool is achievable as well I believe, where AFM can be left activated more often although I have not yet tested this.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!!

Last edited:

Shaneo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Sedan
A VERY common request I seem to be getting is "Can I turn off AFM"?
For those that don't know what AFM is (Active Fuel Management), it is the feature in the L76 V8's equipped with AFM which drops the vehicle to 4cylinders while cruising.

It seems most people want the ability to turn it off due to the (infamous) droning caused when AFM kicks in, especially with an exhaust upgraded fitted.

Due to the large requests, Iv done some preliminary investigation into this and have had some success!
I can keep the car in V8 mode without making any physical modifications to the car, it is all done using the cars communication line using factory messages to the car (No sensor tricking ect).

I have felt an instantaneous difference in my SS Ute Auto (L76 AFM) and can immediately notice and feel a smoother drive. Iv still got many kilometers of driving ahead of me for refining, but Im very excited about a non invasive AFM disable.

At the moment, I have the trusty R&D laptop on the passenger seat doing all the hardwork since its still in early stages. But I wanted to see if there is any particular features people would want to see?

For example:
- Plug and Play (Cant imagine it any other way??)
- Switch to enable/disable the device? Or just unplug it when not wanted?
- Ability to change at what vehicle speed/conditions the AFM disable engages?
- Customizable indication lights?

The complete opposite of this tool is achievable as well I believe, where AFM can be left activated more often although I have not yet tested this.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!!

Interesting and like where your going. It would be really good to through the menu to activate and deactivate AFM, I don't know why Holden didn't do this from factory. I'd actually like to see the engineering menu, on the main menu also and be able to access while driving.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Interesting and like where your going. It would be really good to through the menu to activate and deactivate AFM, I don't know why Holden didn't do this from factory. I'd actually like to see the engineering menu, on the main menu also and be able to access while driving.

Thats a brilliant idea!.

It wont quite be in the factory menus, Will more likely be displayed up the top where you get text for things like station, volume ect as thats easily accessible to display.
That might be the way to edit/change settings :beer chug:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Good and bad news.

So, good news first...
140km drive and not once did AFM activate.
Disconnected the R&D laptop and AFM worked as per usual.

Tested in another VE SS Sedan with AFM which also worked flawlessly.
Im yet to test in a VF, but have a feeling its going to be the same deal :beer chug:

Now for the bad news..
I have had a look into displaying info and settings on the cluster screen but unfortunately there is no easy way to navigate settings or select options using steering wheel controls without affecting other options or settings (Eg. Radio station, volume ect, cluster display).
Sooo, settings on the cluster is off the drawing board for now.

Theres two main options for it I guess:

1) Bluetooth, new BLE devices uses very little power, so it could be a chance to look into making a very basic app for android/iphone to make any small changes. This does depend on how much power the bluetooth uses since I intend on thisto always be connected. It should act like any other module in the car and use minimal power with ignition off.

2) No connection. Any indications are shown via LEDs and settings are not configurable.

The last option isnt as appealing, although uses the least amount of power and least amount of parts.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Reminds me of my HQ with spot lights had a switch to turn them on and off lol.

Might work lol

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Reminds me of my HQ with spot lights had a switch to turn them on and off lol.

Might work lol

Thats what I was thinking!

But if its not wanted to be used, it would be just as easy to unplug. The only time I can think of not wanting to use it might be on a long drive where AFM is wanted? Could be just as easy to unplug it and pop it into the glove box.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I`m sure you will work it out.
I don`t have a AFM but I would just go the on/off type

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Time for a Poll????????????????

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Have you thought about contacting the developers of Dashcommand? I sent them an email a few years ago asking if there could be a indicator on the main skin to show that AFM is activating (like a small red light green light).
I got an email back from a "developer" saying they have been looking into it but the latency of Bluetooth was making it hard. you might be able to make a feature whee you can turn it off through that maybe.