Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE VF ZF Diff Specs

blownrat350

Reaction score
Members Ride
SC VE
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has specs for the ZF diff, that the VE and VF's uses? There are some numbers on the internet, but there isn't a heap of helpful info, no doubt due to the short-lived usage in holdens, and even scarcer use in the USA gm cousins

I'm replacing the internals in a 3.45 ratio V8 VE and would appreciate anyone that can help with pinion and total (pinion + Carrier) bearing preload specs, and the backlash specs.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thread moved to the drive line section.

blownrat350

Reaction score
Members Ride
SC VE
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has specs for the ZF diff, that the VE and VF's uses? There are some numbers on the internet, but there isn't a heap of helpful info, no doubt due to the short-lived usage in holdens, and even scarcer use in the USA gm cousins

I'm replacing the internals in a 3.45 ratio V8 VE and would appreciate anyone that can help with pinion and total (pinion + Carrier) bearing preload specs, and the backlash specs.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Thanks for the info everyone...... Haha. I got some spec's and thought Id throw them up, incase any one is gunna go it alone!!!

Pinion preload is 14-19 inch-pounds
Carrier Bearing preload measured at pinion = 10-15 inch-pounds (Multiplied by diff ratio + your pinion preload inch-pounds achieved
Backlash is .005 - .009
Order yourself an inch/pound torque wrench when you order your bits approx Au$60 online!!!!!!

Wishing everyone that needs these as much fun as Im having.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thanks for posting the info you found. Someone always has to be first :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are you fitting a solid spacer in replace of the collapsible spacer they normally have?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

blownrat350

Reaction score
Members Ride
SC VE
Are you fitting a solid spacer in replace of the collapsible spacer they normally have?
Hey mate I've literately just finished the final pinion install with the same crush spacer type replacement that came with the new bearing kit.
I considered the solid spacer setup but the old diff still had a tad under 9 inch pounds of pinion preload, and with 200 000Kms and a seriously hard life, that only ended due to the genetic "sun gear clutch failure"" that these diff's are known for...... it seemed like a lot extra work.
I had a 5 ft extension bar and pipe combo screwing the pinion nut in against the crush spacer.
I had the yoke bolted to a jig I knocked up on a 6 foot length of timber and it was f@#kin tight to pull in.
I looked at the new crush spacer and it looked thicker in the wall thickness than the standard critter.....
Do you lads have any experience with either the crush, or the solid spacers? Or rebuilding these things?
ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED........ its to late to use, but appreciated just the same!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine has a solid spacer.