Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vegemite banned in US

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
My wife and I just got back from the USA on Friday after spending 4 weeks there on our honeymoon. Being there first hand is a real eye opener that you need to see for yourself. It's a beautiful country. You just need to see beyond the rude people. We did New York, Niagra Falls (on the Canadian side), Nashville, Memphis, Alabama, Atlanta and San Francisco. Just going from New York state across into Canada was like a whole new world. Everyone in Canada was friendly and smiled and pleasant. One place we went to in Atlanta for breakfast we said "thank you" to the waitress and she was so taken back. Her exact reply was "Oh my god, no one has ever said thank you to me before". After the first week my wife and I ordered salad every chance we got. We stayed with some friends in Alabama for a few days and their kids came home after school and said that day their teacher taught them that Australia's population consisted of 99% British decendants and 1% aboriginal. Yeah right! Maybe before World war II!

A few other interesting pointers is that Fosters in the USA is classed as a premium import beer. I bought one at a New York Yankees game and it cost me $9US, and it's made in Canada.

You can get a Jack Daniels and coke in Nashville for as little as $1.50

Once you've been there you'll never complain about Australia's economy or tax system. Particularly in Canada. We got a $50 meal in Niagra Falls. Included in the bill was a GST, and PST (whatever that is), a Liquor tax and a Food tax. out of $8 of that $50 was just tax.

If you go there, do whatever you can to avoid travelling on a Greyhound bus. I could go into some interesting stories about the people and the buses but I dont have the time.

Finally flying domestic within the US is rediculously expensive!

Don't get me wrong, we both had a great time, but it makes you really appreciate that we live in the greatest country in the world.

That would actually work out to be less than what we pay in tax, the difference between us and canada is that you don't see the tax being paid before your eyes in australia.

We pay 10% GST in australia, thats automatically around $4 of your bill, liquor is also taxed at around 40% in australia on top of the GST (depending on type of liquor. So assuming you spent $15 or so on drinks you would have paid anything between $4-$7 in tax on your drinks in australia.

willygrice

Reaction score
kids play back yard cricket, road have crazy holden drivers :)

kids dont need to wash cars, there parentd give them money

all waterbombs are made in china and r dodgy so they are hard to fill enuff up to have fun

So yeah it is all adults fault.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
That would actually work out to be less than what we pay in tax, the difference between us and canada is that you don't see the tax being paid before your eyes in australia.

We pay 10% GST in australia, thats automatically around $4 of your bill, liquor is also taxed at around 40% in australia on top of the GST (depending on type of liquor. So assuming you spent $15 or so on drinks you would have paid anything between $4-$7 in tax on your drinks in australia.

Thats true.. we pay alot of tax too.. don't see it going anywhere though..

another example.. petrol.. DOUBLE TAX!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Thats true.. we pay alot of tax too.. don't see it going anywhere though..

another example.. petrol.. DOUBLE TAX!

Yeah but our wages and salaries are a hell of a lot higher in Australia. Waiters and such in take away places work for as little as $3.50US per hour. One of our friends we stayed with in Alabama, he moved there from Perth four years ago. He's driving a truck collecting scrap metal which comes from the making of Toyota engines. I think he's on something like $12US and he's in a senior position. We do pay alot of tax but I won't be complaing anywhere near as much as I used too.

Another thing I wish too add. I can't remember seeing one car that was really looked after the way we see here in Australia. Even in the more afluent areas they still treat their cars like crap. I'm talking about cars as new as 5 years old blowing blue smoke and oxidized paint.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Yeah but our wages and salaries are a hell of a lot higher in Australia. Waiters and such in take away places work for as little as $3.50US per hour. One of our friends we stayed with in Alabama, he moved there from Perth four years ago. He's driving a truck collecting scrap metal which comes from the making of Toyota engines. I think he's on something like $12US and he's in a senior position. We do pay alot of tax but I won't be complaing anywhere near as much as I used too.

you have to remember to if an american comes to australia with $100 he'll be able to buy alot more then if an aussie went to america with $100 in his pocket.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
you have to remember to if an american comes to australia with $100 he'll be able to buy alot more then if an aussie went to america with $100 in his pocket.
Urgh.. I hate when people get up in arms about people in the USA making $7 an hour when their Australian low skilled counterparts get $13 or whatever..

In a place where a brand new family car is $20,000, a can of Coke is like $0.50, the real wages aren't that much less..

The good ole difference between nominal and real wages.. Look it up people..

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
Urgh.. I hate when people get up in arms about people in the USA making $7 an hour when their Australian low skilled counterparts get $13 or whatever..

In a place where a brand new family car is $20,000, a can of Coke is like $0.50, the real wages aren't that much less..

The good ole difference between nominal and real wages.. Look it up people..

ye im with shounak.. they make less over there cuz everything is ridiculously cheaper!! the only thing i hate about oz is that we get taxed TWICE on our super!! u get taxed on it when u earn it, and taxed again when u get 2 spend it!! mongrels.

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
is it just me or are kids forgetting that an outside world does exist?

do kids still play road cricket (you know get all the kids on the street and a few wheelie bins) i havn't seen this played since i last did it in gr8, what about running around the streets with a bucket and sponge washing cars for $2 (small) and $5 (large) just so you could go buy water bombs and spend the day running around everywhere sconning your mates!
i think we need to get these days back, throw out the tv, sell the xbox and boot your kids outside.

come to think of it pedophiles can be blamed for this in a way, no one wants there kids to run the streets because of fear of abduction of rock spiders.

the govnt and drought are blamed for this, if kids did this they would come home with water restriction fines.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
the govnt and drought are blamed for this, if kids did this they would come home with water restriction fines.

lol true forgot about that:thumbsup: go out to earn $10 come home with a $50 fine:yeah: devestating.