Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very Rare Find

Long time fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
I was also told by the previous owner that there were only 100 sets of these rims created. Would that be correct?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sounds like the owner just made **** up to sucker you in....worked. Wonder if the T5 is even factory to be honest.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sounds like the owner just made **** up to sucker you in....worked. Wonder if the T5 is even factory to be honest.

Can you tell by the VIN that's shown just what it is?

Must say it does look nice to me. A friend of mine some time back had a real one in a sort of deep bronze colour as such and sold it for plenty.

Long time fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais

As gossie has suggested the built plate that I put up in the pics shows it's a factory manual.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
There might be a build sheet under the passenger side carpet if your lucky.

Edit: Ah missed it yep factory manual. Sweet. Those rims look aftermarket. Obviously had a strut brace put on. Also some ones put the supercharged 6 intake on as well. Well the bottom part. Missing the part that sits on the radiator. No big loss. Got any rust?

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Build plate indicates its a factory v8 Calais with manual trans AND FE2 suspension; a rare combination indeed.

About the only way I would believe the story on the wheels would be because they are bloody ugly and they couldn't sell any more than 100! Forget the wheels and bodykit- neither add any value to the car (if anything, they subtract from it). return it to factory standard Calais with the two tone and you will have a nice machine.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
That's good to know about the skirts. I was under the impression that the formula kit was an factory option, so I just assumed it was original because it has the other options like LSD and rims. Makes sense now because I was wondering why it had the bumpers, and skirts but not the wing. If it isn't original, I can get rid of it. I'm happy for anyone to pick up and comment on all the non original bits. I'll post up more pics tonight so you can spot all of the post factory add-ons and replacement parts. I aim to make it as close to original as possible. I've already identified a few, so it will be interesting to see what everyone else picks up.

The Formula kits were a dealer pack. The factory had nothing to do with them. No different to a VT GTR (lol) which was also just a bodykit to try and sell the car.

I almost bought a VN Formula as it was a V8 with the full SS kit. Chose against it in the end and bought my Berlina LX wagon :D

Long time fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
A few more pics. Feel free to comment about what you believe isn't original (what's been added, what's been removed and what's been substituted).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 240

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Bonnet struts on an 89 VN? Didn't think they weren't introduced until the VP.
Not a calais steering wheel either.
2 tone grey dash and center console?