Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF 11 Bimodal

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
A quick question on the bi modal system on the VF11.

My VF11 has had a pacemaker 3 inch exhaust fitted with straight through mufflers. Sounds sensational, but waaay too loud. The place that did the supercharger and tune said they can fit the standard bi modal mufflers, though I'm led to believe that on start up and idle ( the times i want the car to be quieter) that the bi modal flaps are open, whether you have bimodal switched on or not.

is this correct, as it will defeat the purpose of re fitting them. i want to have the option of starting the car up without the neighbors giving me dirty looks.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
If you want it quiet at idle the flaps will be shut.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Thanks mate. i just assumed they were like the GTS bi modals, that whether you had them turned on or off, the flap still opened on start up and idle.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Sorry to bring this up again. Is there any way to make the Bi modals stay shut on start up ? The couple of VF2's that I've seen are still loud on start up, even with bi modal mode off.

I've already put a couple of more restrictive single outlet mufflers on it, but it's still as loud as buggery on start up and idle

The only other option, apart from turfing a 2 grand exhaust system and starting again, is to put a set of Varex mufflers on it

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Even with the bimodal switched to off in the mylink, the valves will remain open and quickly switch shut on start up. It'll only be loud for a split second

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
There was a thread somewhere about using a remote control to switch on and off the bimodel fuse above the battery.

Do a google search. There is a bit out on the topic.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
This the annoying thing with these newer oem bi modals, also the reason causing the zorst to clack & crackle on decel too.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
This the annoying thing with these newer oem bi modals, also the reason causing the zorst to clack & crackle on decel too.

Bimodal doesn't cause the exhaust to crackle and pop. Sure it's fuel going bang in the exhaust, but it's the rear muffler design that plays the biggest role.

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
It should close the flaps very quickly on startup with the bimodal set to quiet, I have to say I have never set my VFII to quiet though.

The flaps are now electrically controlled and should shut very quickly, the older model bimodals were vacuum. Since the system needed vacuum from the engine running to close the flaps, when it fired from cold it would take a second for them to close.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Thanks guys. The car's going in tomorrow for its 3000km service, plus heading back to the tuner to sort a few issues. it's damn loud right now on start up (3 inch exhaust and hi flow cats), I'm in two minds about putting bimodals back on if it's not going to quieten it down