Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf 2 ssv wagon battery corrosion

poppy bill

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf s2 SSV
hi. I have just bought a 2015 ssv series 2 wagon and have found corrosion in between the battery and the metal plate that holds it in place but not on the terminals. dick head me checked everything else but the battery before I purchased the car. It is still under warranty and due for a free service next week but I have never seen corrosion that was everywhere else but on the terminals before. very curious as to why. has anybody else seen this before ?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
yes in ve s acid everywhere under the carpet in the boot.. there is a breather tube that attaches to the battery or some people replace the calcium battery with cheaper water filled one and whats the old saying out of sight

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The corrosion is no doubt due to leakage from the battery case and I read another post a few days back from a VF owner who had reported the battery leaking. I think he mentioned his was a 2016 VF. In any event the battery was definitely faulty and the dealer replaced the battery as a warranty job. ( If I could find his post I would link it.)

If your car is a 2015 I would expect it would still have the original battery fitted. As mentioned above the correct batteries for the VEs and VFs have a small breather opening on the battery case and the breather tube has to be fitted to the battery to vent it. When you replace the battery you must order one of these batteries. If you don't have the tube fitted then it's probably the wrong battery and not the original. There is advice and warnings in the owner's manuals about battery replacement and the venting system for the VFs and VEs.

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
Exact same thing happened to my wagon. It wasn't coming out from the tube but was a sealable cap under the sticker which is under the battery hold down plate. Corroded my plate but didn't go anywhere else. Car was less than 4 months old at the time. They reuse the tube and just replaced a new battery for me. 10 min job but waited for the apprentice to do his thing..... 45 min late..... Your car is done sir lol

poppy bill

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf s2 SSV
Holden have changed the battery and carrier with new ones under warranty for me with no hassels. I was told there could have been a bit of a leak in the seam. However I removed the battery and carrier upon getting home to clean out the white crap which is corrosive that had fallen down below into the compartment which they didn't do. Happy chappy again.