Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF 2015 V8 Storm loss of power steering 158K, SERVICE POWER STEERING FAULT

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Just got back from work overseas, and missus has complained the VF steering not working.
Previously had a few moments when the steering would not work, and turned engine off, and left for few moments and restarted no issues, this was 12 months ago, hasn't missed a beat since.
I checked with VIN recall numbers( https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-000535), and VIN not specific listed by falls into Sept/2015 compliance date.
  • Checked battery which is still original and still putting out 15.1v, at idle
  • Checked F41 control module fuse/power steering...all good
  • Plugged OBA2 scanner in, went through a cycle didn't throw any codes
  • NOW WORKING FINE
what gives??
Anyone had similar issues, and what was the cause
  • battery needs replacing.
  • electric connection on rack corroded?
  • anything else ??

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
reset needed for starters, as I read it

lift the neg lead off the battery for at least 20-30mins

and see if things improve

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Contact holden customer care and ask if they have had the recall for the steering done on your vin, if it has been done it will be logged and if its not one of the affected vin range they will tell you.
Dont go by the vinlist on a website.

Checking the voltage while the vehicle is running is not checking the battery, you are checking the alternator output voltage.
Checking the battery voltage is not checking the battery health.

To check the battery you need a load test done on it which can be done for free at many battery places like battery world.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Anyone had similar issues, and what was the cause
  • battery needs replacing.
  • electric connection on rack corroded?
  • anything else ??
The cause is a shite EPS system design that GM/Holden tried to resolve cheaply on a number of occasions with varying degrees of success. The best solution was a complete power steering rack replacement but GM/H’s last attempt which was handled via recall was a kit of parts to upgrade the vehicles existing factory EPS rack and electrical connector assembly (in a more cost effective manner).

The recall kit supposedly provided new connectors with gold plated pins that were supposed to resolve the fretting corrosion issue that was supposedly the root cause of the problem.

But I’m sceptical it’s been solved 100% as some have had issues i think post fix. If fretting corrosion was indeed the cause, it would have been best resolved by removing the assembly mounted connector and instead having long wires with a remote connector that’s mounted firmly on the firewall or other more isolated location away from vibrations that the rack is subject to…

So what’s the cause… bad design. What’s the fix, Holden says the recall if your car is included but for me the jury is still out :oops:

Read all about it on the following thread for shites and giggles

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Contact holden customer care and ask if they have had the recall for the steering done on your vin, if it has been done it will be logged and if its not one of the affected vin range they will tell you.
Dont go by the vinlist on a website.

Checking the voltage while the vehicle is running is not checking the battery, you are checking the alternator output voltage.
Checking the battery voltage is not checking the battery health.

To check the battery you need a load test done on it which can be done for free at many battery places like battery world.
+1 on contact8mg HCC

but checking the voltage may not yield meaningful results.

South Main Auto YouTube channel had one GM SUV that had intermittent EPS assistance issues which was tracked down to a faulty earth cable (IIRC).

and similar from Pine Hollows YouTube channel (which I haven’t seen so no5 sure what that solution was)

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
The cause is a shite EPS system design that GM/Holden tried to resolve cheaply on a number of occasions with varying degrees of success. The best solution was a complete power steering rack replacement but GM/H’s last attempt which was handled via recall was a kit of parts to upgrade the vehicles existing factory EPS rack and electrical connector assembly (in a more cost effective manner).

The recall kit supposedly provided new connectors with gold plated pins that were supposed to resolve the fretting corrosion issue that was supposedly the root cause of the problem.

But I’m sceptical it’s been solved 100% as some have had issues i think post fix. If fretting corrosion was indeed the cause, it would have been best resolved by removing the assembly mounted connector and instead having long wires with a remote connector that’s mounted firmly on the firewall or other more isolated location away from vibrations that the rack is subject to…

So what’s the cause… bad design. What’s the fix, Holden says the recall if your car is included but for me the jury is still out :oops:

Read all about it on the following thread for shites and giggles

thanks
I'll ring holden and start there as well as get the load test of battery, thanks for taking the time to reply appreciate it

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Seems battery was replaced in 2022, ..with AC Delco S56838, 600CCA.news to me
Holden is saying there is NO recall on the Electric Power Steering rack for my VIN number

Have removed negative battery cable and left for 40min,
hooked up OBA2 to check...no codes
being using car all today, no issues drives like it should

wondering whether should go and purchase a 2nd hand EPS rack just to have as spare, then there is no guarantee its not the same
according to spare part Holden Mornington they have shifted 88 kits in 2024
Motor kit GM #92511518: $550
Not sure whether I would pick up the costs of the kit and GMH would cover the fit out
Think I'll pay them a visit in next week to discuss

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a PITA of a job but I'd be physically checking the EPS connector actually has gold pins and thus (in theory) isn't suseptable to EPS assistance failure as that's the definative answer whether you've got a rack that shouldn't have such issues (according to GM/H)...

I'd take pictures and have a very strong discussion with HCC and the regulators if my vehicle was suffering EPS assistance failure, hasn't got gold pins and isn't on the recall list :mad: I'd be equally pissed if I bought the car second hand and somewhow it isn't fixed via having gold pins :mad:

The few reports of EPS assistance failure on vehicles not on the recall list just doesnt leave me with a glowing feeling that this issue has been fixed :oops:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
I'm the original driver since new
I did give the plug a wiggle yesterday when I was having a look and had the stone guard shield off
I was looking for the part # on rack just to make sure I had them on hand