Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais fake carbon to fake woodgrain

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Just wondering if anyone has had experience swapping or removing the fake carbon trim off gearshift surround, main dash fascia and door trims. I think 6 pieces all up.
I'd like to swap it for the fake wood grain from the series 1 titanium interior.
Dont know if its even available separate from Holden. That in itself might kill the idea completely.
Any help, advice or re direction would be appreciated.

M

mwb235

AFAIK no VF had wood grain from factory but I might be wrong. But there’s plenty of places that’ll do it for you - just google “hydrographic printing” (aka immersion dipping or water transfer printing).

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
AFAIK no VF had wood grain from factory but I might be wrong. But there’s plenty of places that’ll do it for you - just google “hydrographic printing” (aka immersion or water transfer printing).
The v series Calais series 1 and early series 2 had it with the titanium interior.

M

mwb235

Oh ok that explains it, my series 1 VF Calais V has the more common black interior so I haven’t seen it.

Personally I always liked the fake wood grain, particularly in VT/VX/WH but I know it’s not everyone’s cuppa.

M

mwb235

You’d get the dash and t-bar surround bits from Holden Spares no problem. Not sure about the door trims - they may only sell you the complete door trims. Good luck.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree the door trims will be the tricky part to source and fit. Other bits easy. But I don't want to have half and half. Want it to be all the same.

Attachments

• 20180412_022057.jpg
    20180412_022057.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 546
M

mwb235

I agree the door trims will be the tricky part to source and fit. Other bits easy. But I don't want to have half and half. Want it to be all the same.

Yep I know what you mean. If you like that style of woodgrain go for it, it’ll just be very expensive as Holden $pare Part$ always are. Or if you want something like the VT/VX Calais / WH Caprice style of woodgrain, just get your existing bits done custom. Probably cheaper and you can do other custom trims to match at the same time if you want to, such as the door handle inserts (that surround the power window switches) for example.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was just looking that up. There are some really nice black woodgrain that would suit perfect.
Thanks for getting me on to that.

M

mwb235

If you want it to look as “factory” as possible, you could buy the dash and t-bar surround bits from Holden Spares, and get your existing door trim bits custom re-done to match. Only thing with that option is the hydrographic printing place will need to have that particular woodgrain pattern on file.

The door trim strips are easily removed - they are attached with about five (I think) small screws from memory (i only know this as I recently pulled apart some VF SS front door trims I got from a wreckers, for the little ice-blue LED’s which I fitted into my rear door trims).

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah excellent. The door trims were my biggest worry.
I will price the parts from Holden and once I pick my self up off the floor, will get my old parts printed. I'l have a bigger choice and will find something better to match.