Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore/Calais Chrome Door Lock Knobs and Handles

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
I've tried to order these and had no luck advising these are not stocked. Did you have any luck purchasing them?
Hi Anthony121,
When I got the price at Holden yesterday, they said they weren't stocked in the Sydney warehouse and no dealer had them showing in stock. They're showing over 250 units in stock in Melbourne. They'll be here by Monday.
I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to check for stock in Melbourne. They'll definitely have them in stock.
Hope this helps :)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm hoping that they're just a matter of unscrewing and screwing in the new ones

Gunna burst your bubble here mate..was at a Holden yard today and I 'tested' the snibs as I want some chrome ones for my car too. Definitely not screw in. Looks like a door card out job.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
The lock snibs are one thing about VF that I hate. They remind me of my old VB and VC from the 70's/80's.

Such a step backwards from the integrated ones of VE.
Hi tml678,

I agree that it was an unusual change for Holden to do this, particularly to have the rear door lock buttons positioned at the rear of the doors. It does look very old fashioned by today's standards. I'm used to this though having the Kingswood. What's surprising is that the VF uses the same configuration as the first model Holden (48-215). However, a few months after the launch, new Holden owners were complaining that they couldn't reach the rear door locks from the driver's seat (no central locking in those days!). I think at the end of 1949 they changed it so the buttons were at the front of the rear doors.

Considering that the VF is the last Australian built Holden, I like to think it was an accidental tribute by the designers to the Number One :)

On a similar note, I bought my Calais on Australia Day this year (very fitting!) and was amazed to see that the registration date for my car is 29th November - the same day that the first Holden was launched back in 1948. What a coincidence! :)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The lock snibs are one thing about VF that I hate. They remind me of my old VB and VC from the 70's/80's.

Such a step backwards from the integrated ones of VE.
They're just an indicator. I have never even touched one. In the VF there is no need. Just use the handle. I much prefer it over the locks in the VE. Not that they were bad.
I also prefer the sound and feel of the external handles and the sound of the doors closing. The VE ones feel and sound cheap and nasty in comparison.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gunna burst your bubble here mate..was at a Holden yard today and I 'tested' the snibs as I want some chrome ones for my car too. Definitely not screw in. Looks like a door card out job.
Hmmm, my current ones unscrew...?
Oh well, if they need to be removed then I'll probably go for the aluminium ones that AAAC has quoted above. They look the part :)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
They're just an indicator. I have never even touched one. In the VF there is no need. Just use the handle.

Yeah, I get that Cuda, but the look is a bit too *retro for me. Just my opinion :)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi tml678,
The new door lock knobs arrived today. They simply unscrew from the actuator rod. 10 minute job to change them over.
The actuator rod (when unlocked) extends beyond the door trim so there's no danger of the rod falling down into the door.
The rods incl. chrome knob were $10 each (trade) from Holden. To me it was worth changing over as it breaks up the black door trim a little more.
Cheers :)

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V