Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf engine oil

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Just had a 15k service and holden used 10w60 oil for the car. Is this normal, as the manual states 5w30 only? Should 5w30 only be used, or is there a reason for this? Should I change it? Does it even matter?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Just had a 15k service and holden used 10w60 oil for the car. Is this normal, as the manual states 5w30 only? Should 5w30 only be used, or is there a reason for this? Should I change it? Does it even matter?

No it is not normal or within spec. Yes, it does matter. Take it back and ask them to use the correct oil.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Slap that dealer stupid and make them put the right oil (5w30 Dexos1, but most oils now have a Dexos 2 cert.) in it.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L

Are you SURE about this? If so, why are you so sure please?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
They actually wrote it in the service book.

If it was a Holden dealer that wrote that in your service book you have that dealership by the short and curlies. Phone Holden!! Demand a free service and a note put on your car's file as future insurance.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Over on the LS1 website there have been many threads on oil. There is a definite favour for 10W-60 by many on LS1. Steve from Mainlube often contributes there regarding oil threads and 10W-60 is his recommended oil. Most prefer Edge 10W-60, but when it comes to oil you will get many different opinions. You aren't going to destroy your car, but I am surprised a dealer uses it given the Holden recommendation.

Edit, to the OP I would be inclined to ask the dealer why they use that oil. 10W-60 is more expensive oil than 5w-30 so they aren't using it to save money.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Read it from the oil company, specific oil is needed for engines running on ethanol blended petrol, so do not use ethanol blended petrol when using non-specified engine oil.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
too thick
heads will get smashed bruzy

PCD1965

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline V8 Ute
Over on the LS1 website there have been many threads on oil. There is a definite favour for 10W-60 by many on LS1. Steve from Mainlube often contributes there regarding oil threads and 10W-60 is his recommended oil. Most prefer Edge 10W-60, but when it comes to oil you will get many different opinions. You aren't going to destroy your car, but I am surprised a dealer uses it given the Holden recommendation.

Edit, to the OP I would be inclined to ask the dealer why they use that oil. 10W-60 is more expensive oil than 5w-30 so they aren't using it to save money.

After reading a lot of info from Steve I run 10-60 in my redline ute, not too worried about the warranty side of things. Motor is a lot quieter as would be expected and I do mostly long distance highway driving outback.
My tuner also recommended it after I had my tune - OTR - full exhaust fitted