Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF evoke 2014. ECU failure.

DZTRBD2116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Hey guys. Just wondering if any one had some advice on my issue. Was driving today on the freeway when my car suddenly **** itself. Lost all power and came up on the dash with the engine light and “engine power reduced” somehow managed to pull over safety and then car wouldn’t start. Got my mechanic out to check it out after hours of ******* around looks like the ECU is fried.

Anybody had one fail on their VF? Are Holden going to charge me out of my ass for a replacement and the tune?

Any advice would be greatly Appreciated.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
What are the error codes stored? I see more third party mechanics shotgun expensive modules that they can't diagnose correctly than I can count.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Got my mechanic out to check it out after hours of ******* around looks like the ECU is fried.

While not impossible, it's kinda unlikely. What did he do to come to that conclusion? Have you gotten a second opinion?

Also, Holden don't tune, it will be exactly the same mass produced tune as every other Evoke. I'd be ringing around dealers for quotes though as it should be a straight forward job with little labour (not mechanical and easy to get to), so should be easy to calculate. Might even be covered under warranty if it's only a 2014 depending on how it was purchased.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the ecu is a pretty robust unit I would maybe get a second opinion without telling the second guy what the first guy said.
just seems odd it went into limp mode then died but you never know it could be anything from a crap sensor somewhere to maybe a short in the wiring that caused the ecu to die.

if you can pull the error codes using any sort of scan tool that would show "life" in the ecu and it might be something else and those codes might have the answer.

another thought because electronics can be stupid try disconnect the battery for 10 mins or so and reconnect it.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea the ecu's are pretty good, reduced power just means a major sensor/input has failed or gone out of range so it could be simple, last i checked at holden an ecu is about 800-900 then for them to flash your factory tune into it is more again so id be looking a bit further into it before doing that just to make sure

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I wouldn't quote more than an hour to fit and program an ecm. Piece of piss really.

The only dtc's I'd shotgun an ecm for are P0606 or similar off the top of my head - internal memory/rom/processor performance. They're the only "hard fault" codes.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
few major ones to look for
P0601
P0602
P0603
P0604
P0606
P062F

DZTRBD2116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
While not impossible, it's kinda unlikely. What did he do to come to that conclusion? Have you gotten a second opinion?

Also, Holden don't tune, it will be exactly the same mass produced tune as every other Evoke. I'd be ringing around dealers for quotes though as it should be a straight forward job with little labour (not mechanical and easy to get to), so should be easy to calculate. Might even be covered under warranty if it's only a 2014 depending on how it was purchased.
Haven’t got a second opinion but he is a close mate, not a random that I went to. He pulled it out and it’s burnt on the ECU.. and Holden I think only do a 3 year warranty :(

DZTRBD2116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
I wouldn't quote more than an hour to fit and program an ecm. Piece of piss really.

The only dtc's I'd shotgun an ecm for are P0606 or similar off the top of my head - internal memory/rom/processor performance. They're the only "hard fault" codes.
Ah I see. I’ll find out what the exact error code is thanks mate

DZTRBD2116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore

What do you think I’m looking at total cost if I have to get a new ECU?