Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF evoke 2014. ECU failure.

DZTRBD2116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Also just thought I’d add. He serviced it the day before and also degreased the engine and a day later this happens?...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
get a second opinion, just because he is a mate does not change his ability to diagnose a faulty ecu.

burnt on the ecu? any chance you could upload a pic of that.

and I would be concerned that he degreased the engine and the next day you had a major electrical meltdown.
modern engines don't like water in the wrong places especially if you use a high pressure cleaner as they will force water past the rubber seals on most of the connectors.

you should really only degrease the engine if it is needed like oil and gunk all over it, if you had oil and gunk all over a 2014 engine I would be looking for the cause of that.

water in the engine bay could be a glimmer of hope too.
we get this on the trucks at work all the time, the guys high pressure clean them and then the equipment on them no longer works so we have to go through the plugs with the air compressor blowing the water out of them and everything works as normal.
so if by chance it is just water in one of your main harness plugs it could just need to be cleaned and battery dc to reset the ecu and it might work again.

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Also just thought I’d add. He serviced it the day before and also degreased the engine and a day later this happens?...

Should have mentioned this in the original post because it explains a lot.

An ECU is not going to fry and burn in a 2014 VF with normal kms and usage for age unless someone does something stupid like spraying water or other fluids into the engine bay (without carefully protecting all electrical devices and connections from possible fluid entry). Even with protection it should not be done and it's not necessary.

99.9999999% whom ever sprayed fluids into your engine bay caused your problem.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
If the ECU is cactus could one be obtained from a wrecker as they appear to be robust. Are they unique to each model or to just V6 and V8 models etc

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If the ECU is cactus could one be obtained from a wrecker as they appear to be robust. Are they unique to each model or to just V6 and V8 models etc

most of the modules in the vehicle like the mylink and dash cluster etc are paired or "locked" to the vin so if you get an ecu with a different vin other modules in the vehicle will not work.

normally you will need to have a new ecu programmed to suit the vehicle and that's probably something that you need holden to do.

its the same when you want to add a satnav mylink from another vehicle or dash cluster you have to change the vin stored in the mylink/cluster but if you have an eeprom programmer you can diy these but I am not sure about an ecu, I have never done one.