Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Front grille colour

Fergie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV RL Sedan, 2016 SSV RL Wagon
Hi forum,

I purchased a replacement lower grille for my 2016 SSV vf2, it's bare plastic, hence need painting.
Ebay say 'W690F PHANTOM BLACK' paint store could not find this code and there are many variations of this colour.

Does anyone know;
  1. What the paint code is?
  2. Is the standard colour metallic or with a pearl coat (i'm thinking metallic)?
  3. Is the factory paint 2k?

Thank you in advance,

Adrian

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's definitely a metallic, I had some photos from when we first bought the car & had a bloke who was a Holden fan detail it (he had a 355ci VS Senator-I-think-it-was at the time), he noted how there was metallic flake in the Phantom grille finish.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
It is very much metallic, all exterior black plastics for most VF's are Phantom Black (Aside from Series 1 Rear lower bumper inserts, and some HSV's had a matte black finish on the side guard flutes and bonnet vents)

Ive used the Duplicolor DSH98 Phantom black multiple times and found it to be pretty much a perfect match to the factory phantom

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...paint-holden-phantom-dsh98---150g/356913.html

Only annoying thing is it comes in 150g cans, so you may need a few of them for a good finish. Ive used it to repaint a rear lip spoiler, and the sports armour. Using the Duplicator Primer and Clear coat, Ive been impressed as even a year later, it still look very good (Up close you can see some marks in the clear, but these would easily buff out)

The factory bumper plastic in-fills dont appear to be clear coated (Im not a paint expert, but they dont seem to have the sheen a clear coat gives). I sourced a 2K clear coat to do my plastics (It has a hardener you activate at the bottom of the can).

But I got spooked from seeing how it is quite toxic and a pressurised mask and full body cover alls are recommended, so I used a standard clear instead (Other say go for it and yolo, but im happy to keep that stuff out of my lungs)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It is very much metallic, all exterior black plastics for most VF's are Phantom Black (Aside from Series 1 Rear lower bumper inserts, and some HSV's had a matte black finish on the side guard flutes and bonnet vents)
Yes, it certainly is Phantom Black paint code 690F. The HSV satin black is Pitch Black with a PPG paint code W334N.