Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf gps

dav0j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I really dislike these in dash GPS units, until I have the ability to update them at my own will and run from decent maps, I think they are honestly a waste of time. I've used iGo maps on the Nav unit in my old VW Jetta, it sucked. I found the maps terrible, inconsistent and just got me lost.

I purchased a Tom Tom Go 600 and a dash mount kit. (an adhesive circle)

BOSnDcR.jpg

This works very well, Tom Tom came with lifetime maps and live traffic when pair via bluetooth with my phone, it al stops me having to get dirty marks on the window and once removed don't even know its there.

i did the same thing in my vf. i purchased a dashmount kit for my tomtom and also wired a flat micro usb charging cable through the centre grill then under the plastics into my centre console so it's nice and neat. comes on when i turn the ignition on, and turns off when i turn the ignition off. it's perfect!

lacks creativity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Manual
That's nice looking! how long did that take you? I'd love to have something similar but! it just encourages people from a lesser social demographic (to put it nicely) to break into the car where I live and work, I had a supercharged VT years ago, they broke into the secure car park and into my car because they saw the GPS mount :(

jhsg

Reaction score
I was thinking you could mount a GPS down behind the gear stick. The iPad mini also fits in there quite nicely.

dav0j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
That's nice looking! how long did that take you? I'd love to have something similar but! it just encourages people from a lesser social demographic (to put it nicely) to break into the car where I live and work, I had a supercharged VT years ago, they broke into the secure car park and into my car because they saw the GPS mount :(

Took me about 30 mins all up. the annoying part was running the cable behind the dash as it's so tight behind there. I used a coat hanger and did some probing around and managed to find a way behind the glove box.

I plan to keep it permanently there as i'm either parked in my garage, or in my work building's secured car park (need a pass to get in). If i ever plan to park somewhere else for an extended period of time, i will put it away in the glove box.

Are GPS thefts a lot less these days because of the decrease in value these things are? I only paid $140 for my tomtom as opposed to $500 a few years ago... Dunno why thieves would bother...

lacks creativity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Manual
Took me about 30 mins all up. the annoying part was running the cable behind the dash as it's so tight behind there. I used a coat hanger and did some probing around and managed to find a way behind the glove box.

I plan to keep it permanently there as i'm either parked in my garage, or in my work building's secured car park (need a pass to get in). If i ever plan to park somewhere else for an extended period of time, i will put it away in the glove box.

Are GPS thefts a lot less these days because of the decrease in value these things are? I only paid $140 for my tomtom as opposed to $500 a few years ago... Dunno why thieves would bother...

For thieves its not always about the value of the object in which they steal, its the thrill they get of stealing it. Other times and in my case it was drug addicts who needed the money, they were so out of it they used their real ID to sell the items to the pawn shop. I laughed, a lot.

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
Hi dav0j and lackscreativity - I've read on this forum that 'The Vf have metalised windows that can stuff with the reception so they intergrated the factory GPS in with the aerial so its on the outside of the car"
Do you have any problems with the signal to the TomTom 600?

lacks creativity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Manual
Hi dav0j and lackscreativity - I've read on this forum that 'The Vf have metalised windows that can stuff with the reception so they intergrated the factory GPS in with the aerial so its on the outside of the car"
Do you have any problems with the signal to the TomTom 600?

Hey Stingraynut,

Not a single issue at all with mine, I would assume that if they have used metallised windows it would hinder mobile reception as well, so I am unsure if thats the case, either way phone and GPS 100% spot on.