Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird GPS function

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
First, a reminder. I own an Ex Vic Police MY17 VF series 2 wagon.

A few weeks ago I drove into Melbourne city for some stupid reason. It was night, dark, and raining. I mentioned to my passenger that we’ll probably see a few accidents on the way. And without fail we saw 3 accidents (all front to rear) on the Eastern Freeway. The interesting thing was, they were also shown on the GPS display as little blue triangles. The third one was on the way home again and we saw the blue triangle a few km before we got to it, looked out for an accident and there it was. I’m not sure if it is a standard feature of VF series 2, or if it’s only on police vehicles. Have anyone noticed this feature on your GPS?

I’m not sure if this function is standard on the later VF or just on VicPol cars. Maybe they just forgot to remove these interesting little features before disposing of the car. The fact that it appears to be updated in real time is fascinating.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The Sat Nav gets updates through FM radio. The traffic conditions update if there are delays but it isn't as good as google maps.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
My VF used to also show heavy traffic and accidents on the navigation... However, it wasn't usually accurate lol

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yes our VF SatNav has sent us an alternative way when it thought there was heavy traffic on the normally-fastest route.

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
First, a reminder. I own an Ex Vic Police MY17 VF series 2 wagon.

A few weeks ago I drove into Melbourne city for some stupid reason. It was night, dark, and raining. I mentioned to my passenger that we’ll probably see a few accidents on the way. And without fail we saw 3 accidents (all front to rear) on the Eastern Freeway. The interesting thing was, they were also shown on the GPS display as little blue triangles. The third one was on the way home again and we saw the blue triangle a few km before we got to it, looked out for an accident and there it was. I’m not sure if it is a standard feature of VF series 2, or if it’s only on police vehicles. Have anyone noticed this feature on your GPS?

I’m not sure if this function is standard on the later VF or just on VicPol cars. Maybe they just forgot to remove these interesting little features before disposing of the car. The fact that it appears to be updated in real time is fascinating.
Hello Smokey.
My sat nav shows heavy traffic but not sure about the blue triangles.
I will have to keep an eye on that.
A pic of the nav screen would be great though.
Thank you for sharing.

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
I guess I'll have to drive around looking for accidents to get that picture. :)

Thanks for your comments folks. Looks like it's a standard feature. I'm a bit gobsmacked that it's still active and updated since they stopped manufacture, considering they haven't updated the speed limit display on the HUD. There are several roads where I live that used to be 70kmh and were displayed as such. Those roads now have 60kmh limits but the display still says 70.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I guess I'll have to drive around looking for accidents to get that picture. :)

Thanks for your comments folks. Looks like it's a standard feature. I'm a bit gobsmacked that it's still active and updated since they stopped manufacture, considering they haven't updated the speed limit display on the HUD. There are several roads where I live that used to be 70kmh and were displayed as such. Those roads now have 60kmh limits but the display still says 70.
The info‘s coming from different places. The speed-limit info comes from the maps loaded into the box in your car, and won’t change without new maps being produced (which hasn’t happened for over 6 years now & IMHO is unlikely to ever happen) … but the traffic & crash info is broadcast and is picked-up from that SatNav while you’re driving and comes from a non-Holden source.

Reactions: Lex