Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
When not in Sports mode, the autobox seems a bit dithery; for example, takes a while to change gears if you stomp it, or you're trying to use only moderate acceleration up a steepish hill.
Not necessarily any better than the 4spd in our VS, at times.
Do we need a software upgrade or some

I know what you mean!! mostly in drive is it a bit "Dithery" but also noticed these VF SS 6 speed auto cars do not like high RPM Gear shifts. I will sound like a mega bogan here but has anyone tried a 1St gear burnout, say like at a drag strip then gone to shift second like a power skid and it literally does nothing but bog down? Couple of tuner company's say these gearboxes have a lot of torque reduction between gears to save gearbox, is this the case? and if so why does my mates bog stock Auto VE SS ute happily smoke first into second no issues on same 275 tyres? and yes I know the ute is lighter over the rear axle, can anyone out there with a manual drop clutch in second and powerskid for arguments sake?? I would be interested to see if a gear box flash tune would make a difference. Cheers.

Not sure why you guys expect a car that isn't strictly a "performance" model to have punchy gear shifts, a lot of people by the SS just for the V8 towing and a bit of extra power, not everyone wants to drive around in race mode this car is suited to them if you want punchier you go HSV or you get a tune.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not sure why you guys expect a car that isn't strictly a "performance" model to have punchy gear shifts, a lot of people by the SS just for the V8 towing and a bit of extra power, not everyone wants to drive around in race mode this car is suited to them if you want punchier you go HSV or you get a tune.
I probably didn't state that very well ... :)
I'm not wanting the shift to be instantaneous once the car's decided to change gears, and I'm not even expecting it to predict the right gear super-accurately; it's only a fairly old-tech 6spd. Comparing it with a workmate's BMW 520i's 8spd torque-converter 'box would of course be highly unfair; that's not what I'm expecting.
For example, what I don't expect is to go from (say) 5% throttle to (say) 50% throttle at 40km/h, and for it to take a second or so before it actually changes gear, after doing not-that-much-accelerating in the gear it's in. It seems to take a lot more application of the go-pedal to make it kick back a gear than I'd expect, more even than the 4spd in the VS moo-mang it's replacing, and I thought automatic gearboxes were better than this these days.
It's way more lethargic than the rental FG Falcon 6spd autoboxes I've driven with, for example. More so, too, than the rental Legacy 2.5i wagon; and everyone claims CVT's feel lethargic.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
I probably didn't state that very well ... :)
I'm not wanting the shift to be instantaneous once the car's decided to change gears, and I'm not even expecting it to predict the right gear super-accurately; it's only a fairly old-tech 6spd. Comparing it with a workmate's BMW 520i's 8spd torque-converter 'box would of course be highly unfair; that's not what I'm expecting.
For example, what I don't expect is to go from (say) 5% throttle to (say) 50% throttle at 40km/h, and for it to take a second or so before it actually changes gear, after doing not-that-much-accelerating in the gear it's in. It seems to take a lot more application of the go-pedal to make it kick back a gear than I'd expect, more even than the 4spd in the VS moo-mang it's replacing, and I thought automatic gearboxes were better than this these days.
It's way more lethargic than the rental FG Falcon 6spd autoboxes I've driven with, for example. More so, too, than the rental Legacy 2.5i wagon; and everyone claims CVT's feel lethargic.

Mates G6ET drives pretty much the same in gear changing sense as ve/vf, this is how the newer gearboxes are meant to feel as it's more "tame" and "safer" for the every day consumer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mates G6ET drives pretty much the same in gear changing sense as ve/vf, this is how the newer gearboxes are meant to feel as it's more "tame" and "safer" for the every day consumer.
The rentals I'm talking about were XR6's not XR6T's, but given they use the same ZF I'd expect them to behave pretty-much the same.
So maybe ours does need to be re-flashed or something.
Alternately, it's only got 400km on it, maybe it just needs some time to learn?

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Does it feel a bit "woody" Forg?

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
The rentals I'm talking about were XR6's not XR6T's, but given they use the same ZF I'd expect them to behave pretty-much the same.
So maybe ours does need to be re-flashed or something.
Alternately, it's only got 400km on it, maybe it just needs some time to learn?

I would give it some time to learn first, after that if you're still not happy with it you can get it tuned to shift better. but they're meant to be like this from factory to suit more consumers

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it feel a bit "woody" Forg?
*groin*
(that's some sort of weird groan & grin combo ... :))

Hoska91 said:
I would give it some time to learn first, after that if you're still not happy with it you can get it tuned to shift better. but they're meant to be like this from factory to suit more consumers
I think the waiting will be the first go, yeah ... but given your comparison to an XR6T & that a rental XR6 is considerably less lethargic to change gears (and I mean under only part throttle & at around-town speeds - you'd barely feel the 'box changing in such circumstances & also barely even notice the change in revs), I don't think from your description that ours is behaving as well as it should right now.

Last edited:

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
The Commodore auto has been improved, but my first test drive of one in a VF SS didn't leave me thinking it was anything like a match for the Falcons ZF auto. That is one area where Ford have the better solution, until they milkshake, because Ford compromised durability for cost cutting. Recently drove an LS3 Auto Clubsport and was still underwhelmed by the auto gearbox. It just blunted the cars acceleration and really made the car far less enjoyable. Its ok and world beating compared to previous Commodores, but just not a ZF or as good as a manual for that matter.

In the end I drove and purchased a manual transmission car. I don't think I could live happily with a Commodore auto.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
The Commodore auto has been improved, but my first test drive of one in a VF SS didn't leave me thinking it was anything like a match for the Falcons ZF auto. That is one area where Ford have the better solution, until they milkshake, because Ford compromised durability for cost cutting. Recently drove an LS3 Auto Clubsport and was still underwhelmed by the auto gearbox. It just blunted the cars acceleration and really made the car far less enjoyable. Its ok and world beating compared to previous Commodores, but just not a ZF or as good as a manual for that matter.

In the end I drove and purchased a manual transmission car. I don't think I could live happily with a Commodore auto.

I agree with 99% of what you say having owned both the ZF Ford and the A6 Holden. But for the minor issues I experience with the Holden they pale into insignificance when comparing cars. Best decision I ever made in switching from Ford to GMH.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford won't sell me a wagon that's not a girlytruk, so it's a moot point.
In fact Holden were the only manufacturer willing to sell me a wagon which isn't a girlytruk, in it's (interior) size, for under about $150k & the only one in that size with a V8 for under something like $250k.
And nobody will sell me a manual wagon in that size, which isn't a girlytruk, at all.