Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Macquarie and Chatswood have some tight corners
I know, right?!
Top Ryde is almost as bad!
There were nowhere near as many tight corners with raised scratchy concrete curbs when we were driving a 20yo ecomoo Berlina! :)

The one saving grace when I scratched the black wheel on her Redline getting down from that carpark at Macquarie Centre above David Jones was that she did the exact same thing to a different wheel leaving her work carpark after I'd booked the mobile wheel-repair guy but before the booking. :D

To link back to the thread topic, I think black wheels are a flaw, from a practicality point of view. I loaned a mate the unblemished Simmons from my Volvo because he needed a set of wheels while his were being cleaned-up, and they came back with curb-rash and paint-chips where they'd been very carelessly rattle-gunned; but you can't see that if you stand back. However brush a gutter lightly in the Redline, and the scratch stands out like dog's ... like something that stands out a lot.
Of course the black is my choice, I can't blame Holden for my impractical choices in the name of fashion!

anyone have stone chips on the bonnet ?
We have a couple, also one on the driver's side front guard and one on the passenger's side rear guard where some **** has opened their door into her.
The paint seems super-thin compared to the VS, paint chips on the VS were visibly indented with edges, paint chips on the VF it's like the undercoat's at the same level as the top coat.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Stone dents.. Quite common around new suburbs with road works and building sites. Rocks are flying off those big tipper trucks all the time, can see them bouncing off the road onto the cars behind. The aluminium hood seems to be softer than those steel one. Also noticed the standard colour paintwork isn't as "tough" as those metallic paintwork.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I know, right?!
Top Ryde is almost as bad!
There were nowhere near as many tight corners with raised scratchy concrete curbs when we were driving a 20yo ecomoo Berlina! :)

The one saving grace when I scratched the black wheel on her Redline getting down from that carpark at Macquarie Centre above David Jones was that she did the exact same thing to a different wheel leaving her work carpark after I'd booked the mobile wheel-repair guy but before the booking. :D

To link back to the thread topic, I think black wheels are a flaw, from a practicality point of view. I loaned a mate the unblemished Simmons from my Volvo because he needed a set of wheels while his were being cleaned-up, and they came back with curb-rash and paint-chips where they'd been very carelessly rattle-gunned; but you can't see that if you stand back. However brush a gutter lightly in the Redline, and the scratch stands out like dog's ... like something that stands out a lot.
Of course the black is my choice, I can't blame Holden for my impractical choices in the name of fashion!

We have a couple, also one on the driver's side front guard and one on the passenger's side rear guard where some **** has opened their door into her.
The paint seems super-thin compared to the VS, paint chips on the VS were visibly indented with edges, paint chips on the VF it's like the undercoat's at the same level as the top coat.

Can I ask what the wheel repair set you back Forg?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
6/16 Calais V has issues with external mirrors not remembering my set position - keep reverting to an inward default position.

Seat setting remembered.

Has done it since new. Basically means having to reset external mirrors each time car is started.

In for first service last week, had them all bluffed.

Service manager got involved, never seen it before but asked if it does it with both keys...

Dunno, never used the other key.

Got home, tried other key - works as it should.

They'll chase it up with "Melbourne engineers" and will prob mean a key recode/reset.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Can I ask what the wheel repair set you back Forg?
$160 ... however, over time I became less happy with it. The finish started getting greyer, and the gloss seemed less glossy.
When the Foulcan Goon ran into me & at the cost of his insurance I was having a wheel repaired by a place that did the whole rim, I paid extra to have a place which removes the tyre & refinishes the whole thing do it properly. That was $230, and I'm much happier with the result of that.

Poor old Dad, your problem sounds not entirely unlike the HVAC & ICE problems that it seems half the keyless-entry/pushbutton-start VF owners have. It seems like the system has two memories, which it randomly chooses between, and there are two keys. If Calais also remembers seat & mirror position, as well as radio & aircon settings, it'd do basically what you're describing ...

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Poor old Dad, your problem sounds not entirely unlike the HVAC & ICE problems that it seems half the keyless-entry/pushbutton-start VF owners have. It seems like the system has two memories, which it randomly chooses between, and there are two keys. If Calais also remembers seat & mirror position, as well as radio & aircon settings, it'd do basically what you're describing ...

Thanks mate.

I'll have a close look at all settings with the "good" key.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to choose between mirrors or aircon, lol.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yep I'd be filthy too. I had a good look over my car yesterday and my missus has managed to scratch every wheel..I'm seething but what can you do!?

Hide the keys !

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
6/16 Calais V has issues with external mirrors not remembering my set position - keep reverting to an inward default position.

Seat setting remembered.

Has done it since new. Basically means having to reset external mirrors each time car is started.

In for first service last week, had them all bluffed.

Service manager got involved, never seen it before but asked if it does it with both keys...

Dunno, never used the other key.

Got home, tried other key - works as it should.

They'll chase it up with "Melbourne engineers" and will prob mean a key recode/reset.

Hmm, sounds like some fun I had with my car, I had turned off the memory system to overcome it, and had forgotten, but there was a time I could start the car, pick reverse, and 1 or other or both mirrors would move, any random direction. Finish the reversing move, change to D and the mirror(s) would continue the move to the extreme limit.

I still get odd occasions where some unknown 'trigger event' causes the driver's seat and mirror to suddenly move to a different position, the slouched laid back position favoured by boy racers in their Honduki street toys. Put seat back where it should be and continue. Replacing the memory module did diddly-squat to resolve it.

Just never, EVER try driving the car with both keys in your pocket.

EVER!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I had an issue with my CalaisV mirrors doing the same thing, they had corroded plugs on the wiring loom in the doors and were replaced under warranty.
It took me quite a while to convince the dealership though, video footage helped.