Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
opening my boot (wagon) and water falling onto the boot carpet!!

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
[opening my boot (wagon) and water falling onto the boot carpet!![/QUOTE]

The perfect reason to buy a boot liner!

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I purchased my VF SV6 2015 January of this year, i believe it was an ex-rental from Murphy Holdings and had just over 50k on date of delivery. After a few days of driving I noticed there is an occasional slap or slack in the driveline, have also heard a clunk coming from the rear end. Here is a list of issues iv'e had so far;

• Lack of power - seems to work up to speed, doesn't just go.
  • Delay in Transmission - found slight take up in driveline when going from coasting & then accelerating slightly to speed limit. Sometimes under this condition it feels as though the trans should downshift 1 gear as to 'not load the vehicle' as much.
  • Clunk in Driveline - around 25km/hr, when on/off accelerator.
  • Suspension - feels light & floaty, firm and abrupt, doesn't seem to absorb the bumps, if anything it feels like they come up through the dash, especially noticeable on the front passenger side.
  • Exhaust - seems awfully loud for a standard exhaust, almost seems like it drones in the rear, most noticeable under light or heavy load.
  • Steering - feels loose in centre position.
  • Boot - doesn't open fully
  • Front Passenger Seat - wobbles
  • Heater - is inconsistent
  • Rattle - coming from leather pad above instrument cluster
  • Mylink Issues - has frozen multiple times, have also had black screen
Haven't had much luck with the dealership i purchased from, so i went for a second opinion to another dealer. So far they have replaced the following;

• Throttle Body
  • Steering Rack
  • Boot Struts
  • RHF Park Lamp
  • Reverse Camera
  • Front Passenger Seat Frame
  • Sway Bar D Bushes
  • Torque Converter (which didn't fix delay in trans)
At one stage i had a loaner for 3 weeks whilst mine was at the dealership this gave me time to compare. The loaner had Instant throttle response, responsive trans with instant shifting through gears, no delays. Exhaust seemed as it should, nice and quiet & huge difference with suspension, which was cushier, the car felt like it hugged the road and absorbed all bumps without compromising comfort. I am now also experiencing a ticking noise under the hood, i have included a short video, (please comment if this is normal). I have spoken to Holden Customer Car and i now have an upcoming appointment with the district manger regarding all the issues with my car. Just wondering if anyone else has had any of the listed major issues and if you've managed to get them fixed?

I purchased my VF SV6 2015 January of this year, i believe it was an ex-rental from Murphy Holdings and had just over 50k on date of delivery. After a few days of driving I noticed there is an occasional slap or slack in the driveline, have also heard a clunk coming from the rear end. Here is a list of issues iv'e had so far;

• Delay in Transmission - found slight take up in driveline when going from coasting & then accelerating slightly to speed limit. Sometimes under this condition it feels as though the trans should downshift 1 gear as to 'not load the vehicle' as much.
  • Suspension - feels light & floaty, firm and abrupt, doesn't seem to absorb the bumps, if anything it feels like they come up through the dash, especially noticeable on the front passenger side.
  • Exhaust - seems awfully loud for a standard exhaust, almost seems like it drones in the rear, most noticeable under light or heavy load.
  • Heater - is inconsistent (Software upgrade by dealer)
  • Mylink Issues - has frozen multiple times, have also had black screen (Software upgrade by dealer)
Haven't had much luck with the dealership i purchased from, so i went for a second opinion to another dealer. So far they have replaced the following;

• Throttle Body
  • Steering Rack
  • Boot Struts
  • RHF Park Lamp
  • Reverse Camera
  • Sway Bar D Bushes
At one stage i had a loaner for 3 weeks whilst mine was at the dealership this gave me time to compare. The loaner had Instant throttle response, responsive trans with instant shifting through gears, no delays. Exhaust seemed as it should, nice and quiet & huge difference with suspension, which was cushier, the car felt like it hugged the road and absorbed all bumps without compromising comfort. I am now also experiencing a ticking noise under the hood, i have included a short video, (please comment if this is normal). I have spoken to Holden Customer Car and i now have an upcoming appointment with the district manger regarding all the issues with my car. Just wondering if anyone else has had any of the listed major issues and if you've managed to get them fixed?

Hi Occtec,

My comments in bold

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Poor feeling suspension on an ex-rental? Idonbelivit!
Rental cars go over gutters just as well as a 4x4.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
I've been in the SS now for 3 months, coming up to 5500kms. Mix of city driving and runs up the Hume.
So far for me:

-Inconsistent Air-Con
21 can mean either hot or cold air depending on her mood. Only after turning off Zone control and tweaking the temp up then down 1 or 2 clicks gets it going okay.

-MyLink Screen dims to very dark for no reason. I once looked over at it and said "oi seriously. what the fu*k?" and it magically came back up in brightness. She must be listening.

-She is a manual so Hill hold (using the foot brake single tap to activate) really comes in handy... But only works ~70% of the time on hills/inclines

Prior to making the purchase, I spent a few days reading each post in this thread so really none of the above surprise me or were a deal-breaker. Fortunately so far I have nothing major to report. She's a big girl that makes big unnecessary noise that piss*s off my hipster neighbours. I love it.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
-Inconsistent Air-Con
21 can mean either hot or cold air depending on her mood. Only after turning off Zone control and tweaking the temp up then down 1 or 2 clicks gets it going okay.

-MyLink Screen dims to very dark for no reason. I once looked over at it and said "oi seriously. what the fu*k?" and it magically came back up in brightness. She must be listening.

Next time it's dimmed, check for the "headlight on" green coloured icon, I've found the light sensor is over/under sensitive, sometimes driving through shady patches will turn the headlights on and dim the mylink screen.

My air con was fine for ages when I had left it on 22c. One day I changed it to 24c and it had behaved erratically ever since, warm or cold air with no rhyme or reason.

It's disappointing that it's buggy but I don't really care too much. I just hope future updates sort it out.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Thanks for the reply mate. I forgot to mention my startup ritual involves switching the auto-light control off (because control freak)
My thinking is, when it dims that's when the low beams would want to come on.

I agree. The sensor is very sensitive.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport

• Heater - is inconsistent
  • Mylink Issues - has frozen multiple times, have also had black screen

• Throttle Body
  • Steering Rack
  • Boot Struts
  • RHF Park Lamp
  • Reverse Camera
  • Sway Bar D Bushes

Sounds like a refund car. You may be off to the Office of Fair Trading I think.....