Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
@Big Red VF-SII Go-kart said " Where there is damage in the engine bay that has mangled the metalwork to which the VIN plate is attached "

Which would require more than just masking the plate.

I'm more inclined to think the paint was a DIY job rather than insurance. When my VZ came back I could not believe the level of detail: no overspray anywhere, a shiny new VIN plate, new radiator, coolant reservoir... perfect match of paint..

I have experience in vehicle/household insurance, albeit 10 years ago. Repairers are not allowed to make-good or otherwise repatriate a damaged VIN plate, either at the windscreen level or engine bay. They must, by law, obtain authority to receive another, identical plate and this is then indented by the Insurer. If repairs are DIY, and there is damage to the VIN plate, it will likely attract the attention of the insurer or the assessor at some other, later date. The issue of a replacement, identical VIN plate prevents the notion of a car having been "rebirthed" by a non-correlating VIN when it is indexed (e.g. with licensing). If there is nothing wrong with the VIN plate, but there is a bit of paint overspray (from proximal metalwork repairs), just dab a tissue with IPA and wipe off the overspray (and polish it if looks mean a lot).

What are / list the: 'so many paint defects on the car its not even funny.' You need to be sure these paint defects are by Holden originally, and not by subsequent repairs, especially DIY where paint matching is an precise art form within a skilled trade, rather than a game of backyard Cluedo.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
don't forget this guy has already complained about paint that sounded like a dodgy repair job all round.

I have noticed on my silver vf the front and back bumper look different shades compared to the rest of the car in certain light is this normal ?

So this is obviously not factory paint then.
So i guess this issue can be fixed by a panel beater .

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
don't forget this guy has already complained about paint that sounded like a dodgy repair job all round.

It is what it is. It is not Holden's fault!!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
it is the VIN in the engine bay
car has never been sprayed so i can not figure it out.
it just looks like a overspray of some sort but very faint
Won't have overspray from the factory due to when the VIN plate is applied ... how do you know it hasn't been painted though?
One of the big hail storms in Sydney in the mid 80's dented my uncle's '76 Corona MkII, which had been bought brand new. Turned out it had been resprayed, as discovered by the repairer who fixed the hail damage. Probably done by the dealer or the importer in 1976, prior to sale.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Metal polish?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
First owner of car
no smash history
anyway no one has answered my question how do i fix over spray removal ffs ??
Cars can be damaged between coming of the assembly line and in transit to the dealership so a repair could have been carried out in that time

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
First owner of car
no smash history
anyway no one has answered my question how do i fix over spray removal ffs ??

I answered that question in the second last paragraph of my post #1,941. Use a tissue dabbed with isopropyl alcohol or Meth (turps too, but the odour is crap). Rub vigorously. When it's all off, give it a polish with whatever you have available e.g. Kitten wax.