Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I replaced stock SS glossy trim for SSV matte trim a while ago. Matte trim looks better in the pictures, but in real life I think it look more fake than SS trim. I kept OEM trim for my SS so I can swap back any time...

What do you guys think. Which one looks better ?
The gloss SV6/SS trim looks better on the dash and shifter cap I think, but the chrome molding on the matte Redline door trims looks better than the glossy trim without it.

Here's the HSV door trim that looks less like carbon than the other two and isn't that flash either.

20210310_181751.jpg

RenfieldFive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon
I think it looks fine black, matches the black console moldings. A carbon mismatch would look crappy.

The SV6/SS carbon look is the best they did, even the HSV carbon like trim has more a fake look about it. I'm not a fan of the MY 16 Redline matte carbon look either.

The carbon trim on M3/M4 BMW's is real feather weight carbon fibre and stupidly expensive to replace as we'd imagine!

View attachment 255341
I think it looks fine black, matches the black console moldings. A carbon mismatch would look crappy.

The SV6/SS carbon look is the best they did, even the HSV carbon like trim has more a fake look about it. I'm not a fan of the MY 16 Redline matte carbon look either.

The carbon trim on M3/M4 BMW's is real feather weight carbon fibre and stupidly expensive to replace as we'd imagine!

View attachment 255341
Yeah, it does look good. The gauge housing comes in 2 pieces so I was thinking of just doing the lower piece so that it looks like the gear shifter surround matches and it all looks like one piece.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I replaced stock SS glossy trim for SSV matte trim a while ago. Matte trim looks better in the pictures, but in real life I think it look more fake than SS trim. I kept OEM trim for my SS so I can swap back any time...

I prefer matt or even satin over gloss.

RenfieldFive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6 Sportwagon
I like the gloss look personally but matt or satin looks pretty good as well.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
the other option if the op really wants to retain that look is to wrap all of the carbon fiber look trims and the pod with the same wrap

i did the ugly zb shifter surround in the carbon fiber look
Yes, that one looks good, I trim the race car interiors with it!

20181102_210014.jpg

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE

Can I ask did you replace the whole door trim or just that section? I looked at the back of my door trim and they seem to be sonic welded in and cant be removed?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
I like the gloss look personally but matt or satin looks pretty good as well.
holden must have liked all of them, all at once.

lets throw in piano black next to chrome next to satin/brushed silver next to matt black

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Can I ask did you replace the whole door trim or just that section? I looked at the back of my door trim and they seem to be sonic welded in and cant be removed?

The trim pieces are replaceable, held in by about 8 or so screws. You remove the door card, pull back the foam and they come out easy. Tricky part is often trying to find them being sold individually, as normally people only sell em as part of the complete card.

Pretty much all the rest of the card is plastic welded together. I replaced my white stitch trim sections with red ones and spent a good amount of time melting the old tabs out, then re-welding everything together with Polypropylene welding rods and a soldering iron.

Tighter tolerances than the factory now though, and not a peep out of em over a year later

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I just replaced the insert. In the front door there are whole bunch of screws holding it in place...