Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF L77 stalling when selecting drive/reverse

Jimbo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Recently had my L77 rebuilt, Harrop 2300 supercharger and a stall converter fitted. Runs like a dream but the last 2 afternoons when the outside temp has been a little hot, the car will stall repeatedly when trying to select drive or reverse after starting up. Idle speed is around 850-900rpm before selecting gear and it instantly stalls. Have to rev it up and put it in gear to get going. It seems to idle in gear at a stop ok afterwards. Leave it off for 20 minutes or so and it will start and select gear fine. Noticed today when it did it and I popped the bonnet that everything in the engine bay was bloody hot from radiant heat. I’ve only had the car back for just over a week from the work getting done. Engine temp is normal on the gauge when it does it also. Thinking either a sensor clapping out with the heat or maybe tune related? Anyone experienced something like this? Auto is a 6L80E…

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I reckon "straight back to whoever did it", daytime temps have maxed-out at about 26 degrees since you picked it up!
It seems a little coincidental to have a sensor issue at the same time as having a blower installed & a tune, and if it's a sensor they should be able to pick that up really easily.

Jimbo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I reckon "straight back to whoever did it", daytime temps have maxed-out at about 26 degrees since you picked it up!
It seems a little coincidental to have a sensor issue at the same time as having a blower installed & a tune, and if it's a sensor they should be able to pick that up really easily.
I’m sure they will sort it out. Just unfortunate the shop is closed down in January so will have to wait. I’m just wondering if anyone has come across this before as this intermittent issue is doing my head in. I plugged my scanner into today and no fault codes were logged..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I’m sure they will sort it out. Just unfortunate the shop is closed down in January so will have to wait. I’m just wondering if anyone has come across this before as this intermittent issue is doing my head in. I plugged my scanner into today and no fault codes were logged..
Was the tune a 'rush job' done before the shop shut down for Christmas?
It's like they haven't spent enough time tuning 'idles'...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Was the tune a 'rush job' done before the shop shut down for Christmas?
It's like they haven't spent enough time tuning 'idles'...
The guy who did my car said he spent probably 2/3 of the time it took (to tune a car) to get idle & low-load working properly; and that he found too many tuners would shortcut that stuff (and rely on closed-loop & idle-control & electronic throttle-control etc to manage it - which work most of the time).

Jimbo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The guy who did my car said he spent probably 2/3 of the time it took (to tune a car) to get idle & low-load working properly; and that he found too many tuners would shortcut that stuff (and rely on closed-loop & idle-control & electronic throttle-control etc to manage it - which work most of the time).
Nice information mate. Sounds like something that will explain my issues. Much appreciated:)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there are some transition airflow tables between park/neutral to drive, prob just need the right one bumped up, sounds like its just the torque loss when drive is selected is too much for the current airflow corrections so it dies before it can catch itself, making the transition airflow adder better will keep it from happening amongst maby some other settings

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Not uncommon to need a few goes at a blower tune to polish the edges. I had a similar issue but the tuner had already said bring it back in a couple of days with any feedback. Your issue is all I had, idle woes. Being manual it was no biggie

Is this your first blower? I ask because welcome to the furnace, your engine bay temps will never be the same. Best advice I can give is wrap or ceramic coat those headers, ultimately though you've added a hunk of metal on a hunk of metal and increased the heat holding mass/surface area of the bay with an 'air pump'

Jimbo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Not uncommon to need a few goes at a blower tune to polish the edges. I had a similar issue but the tuner had already said bring it back in a couple of days with any feedback. Your issue is all I had, idle woes. Being manual it was no biggie

Is this your first blower? I ask because welcome to the furnace, your engine bay temps will never be the same. Best advice I can give is wrap or ceramic coat those headers, ultimately though you've added a hunk of metal on a hunk of metal and increased the heat holding mass/surface area of the bay with an 'air pump'
Yep, first blower. I had a new Hurricane system installed as well with ceramic coated headers. I expected a lot more heat due to the upgrades but I guess I’m just thinking of anything at the moment that could cause this without being tune related. I spent 8 years as a mechanic before switching trades so my brain is working overtime trying to figure out if there is anything I could do to solve it in the meantime. Guess I’ll just sit back and impatiently wait until I can get it back in the shop. The build was done by a very reputable business. I had a lifter failure at the end of November and I just kept upping the upgrades I wanted done. They did an amazing job to get it all done in time but unfortunately left them little time on the tuning side. This issue I have is the only one. Other than that I’m stoked with it:)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yep, first blower. I had a new Hurricane system installed as well with ceramic coated headers. I expected a lot more heat due to the upgrades but I guess I’m just thinking of anything at the moment that could cause this without being tune related. I spent 8 years as a mechanic before switching trades so my brain is working overtime trying to figure out if there is anything I could do to solve it in the meantime. Guess I’ll just sit back and impatiently wait until I can get it back in the shop. The build was done by a very reputable business. I had a lifter failure at the end of November and I just kept upping the upgrades I wanted done. They did an amazing job to get it all done in time but unfortunately left them little time on the tuning side. This issue I have is the only one. Other than that I’m stoked with it:)

I hear you, takes a little bit to build some trust after a fresh install or issue. If it were a sensor you'd probably see issues all over the place, a CEL or she'd just be a dead duck. Now for three weeks that will seem like an eternity