Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf manual gearbox oil change

DanDan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
sorry guys never done it before... which is the drain plug and which is the fill plug...?
20230627_174714.jpg

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Obviously the drain plug is on the bottom and fill plug is at the top (on the side).

Best practice advice is to remove the fill plug first, before you try and remove the drain plug. Reason being that if remove the drain plug first, then find out that you can't remove the fill plug (because it's been overtightened or damaged), you will be up sh*t creek because you won't be able to drive your car anywhere to get help (unless you want to wreck your transmission by driving it without oil).

DanDan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6
Obviously the drain plug is on the bottom and fill plug is at the top (on the side).

Best practice advice is to remove the fill plug first, before you try and remove the drain plug. Reason being that if remove the drain plug first, then find out that you can't remove the fill plug (because it's been overtightened or damaged), you will be up sh*t creek because you won't be able to drive your car anywhere to get help (unless you want to wreck your transmission by driving it without oil).
There are multiple bolts... I thought the fill plug is the one in the top middle of the photo I put up but found its a really big one right at the back. All good couldn't do it with the car up on the stands... started pissing out of the fill plug straight away because of the angle... might have to just take it into a shop to be flat/level on the lift...
Cheers

DanDan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF sv6

Drain plug in orange...
Fill plug in red...

I originally thought the bolt in blue is the fill

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_203139_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_203139_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 153

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ve always found it best to get a copy of the service manual to confirm which bolts are for what…

On one non Holden box I had, in my youth, one bolt on the side of the box contained a spring and check ball and held some part in place, iirc, and could be easily mistaken for the oil filler bolt… a stupid design and you don’t want to take the wrong bolt out :cool: Don’t ask :p

At least on the Holden box the drain and filler plugs are (I think) the same large size… and the picture clarifies which bolts for fill and drain :cool:

+1 for always removing fill bolt first :)

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hahaha, I thought it looked not right until I realised it's a V6 trans.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

and
it also helps the used tranny oil to flow out the drain

seen instances where oil comes out and then dribbles out..
that is until you remove the filler plug and it goes everywhere

Bad enuff with a heavy 80W/140 oil but with ATF or say
Penrite 'Tremec' fill comes out horizontal!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hahaha, I thought it looked not right until I realised it's a V6 trans.
yeah, the V6 boxes have Aisin cast on the side .. part of that can be seen in the pic.