Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF screen issue

VRleak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Having an issue with the screen on my VF Redline. Only seems to happen on very hot days(33c+ outside temp). After 10 minutes of driving with the AC blasting, it goes away once the cabin cools down. Took it to one dealer last year and they replaced a couple of fuses and a relay, then reset the fault codes. Didnt happen again but it appears they didnt fix it, it just simply wasnt getting hot enough to trigger it. Last weekend when we had those high 30s low 40s the problem came back same as in the past. Tried a different dealer this time and theyre just going to update the mylink software next week. Im no mechanic but i dont see how a software update will fix what looks to me like a hardware fault/issue? Anyway heres a vid showing the problem.... Anyone else seen this?

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
Having an issue with the screen on my VF Redline. Only seems to happen on very hot days(33c+ outside temp). After 10 minutes of driving with the AC blasting, it goes away once the cabin cools down. Took it to one dealer last year and they replaced a couple of fuses and a relay, then reset the fault codes. Didnt happen again but it appears they didnt fix it, it just simply wasnt getting hot enough to trigger it. Last weekend when we had those high 30s low 40s the problem came back same as in the past. Tried a different dealer this time and theyre just going to update the mylink software next week. Im no mechanic but i dont see how a software update will fix what looks to me like a hardware fault/issue? Anyway heres a vid showing the problem.... Anyone else seen this?

I would be saying replay the head unit

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
That's the sort of misbehaviour you see on a notebook screen if the flex connector through the hinge gets damaged - the old Macbook 520 that I had in high school (~1997!) needed it replaced about every six months.

Can't see how it could be a software or firmware fault. Far more likely a faulty cable, connector or screen. Good luck convincing the dealership though...

VRleak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
chick on the phone said she heard about something similar on an SV6, and he just had to start putting a towel over the dash. **** that shouldnt have to do that **** cause of a fucked connector or something.

Yeah im praying for another scorcher of a day after the software update so i can show them that aint it.....

VRleak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
thats my thought. Everything seems to work fine, can still switch stations and change volume etc with steering controls. Just the screen looks messed up.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Haven't seen it happen in a vf yet, but seen similar problems in other cars, and accessories left in cars.
I would say the LCD is getting too hot, due to the extremely hot interior temperature inside your car, on 40+ day, I have seen it over 80+ degs inside
cars in full sunlight. Need to try and decrease interior temperature when parked up, sun shades, window tint, parking in shade, park so the dash of your not facing direct sunlight, things like that, are going to help.

VRleak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
thats all just a bandaid fix though. The fact that i cant find a single other case of this shows that in good working order they can handle the hot days. Mine is just faulty.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Maybe a bandaid solution, but reducing heat build up inside your car, is good for whole interior, for the cost of cheap winscreen shade.
If your car still under warranty, then you should show your video to your dealer.

VRleak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
been to 2 dealers, neither of them even interested in the footage. Just noted it was issues with the screen, didnt care for more info beyond that.