Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Ok well let me ask something bold, given I have an SSV Redline as a daily driver.

What if anything can be done to increase the fuel economy?

Add an exhaust & OTR and get a tune.

Not only will that increase your performance it will also improve your fuel economy.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Just to clarify, both the LS3 and the L77 will get a noticeable benefit with higher octane and a tune to suit. Stock tune will gain some volumetric efficiency using 98-100 octane but while definitely measurable is relatively marginal for the price.
Octane has nothing to do with energy released during combustion, nor is an LS motor a heat engine - it is an Otto Cycle - meaning work is produced by timed combustion pressure taken up by the piston.
Heating value of a fuel is almost irrelevant vs the mass fraction burn.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
If you could bring up a display of what the ignition timing is doing as you drive, like so you could see when and how the timing graph is showing in regards to the amount of retardation from the pre set one set, then you will know if you should need a higher octane.
All that a engines does is retard the ignition timing if it detects a slight ping and bang you can loose 12 deg timing and that kills fuel economy and fuel economy.
Most new cars should be using 95 octane and the car company's are only spinning crap about using 91 just to sell the car, back when the new 179KW 5.0L VT V8 commodore came out Holden claimed to use 95 but then did a back flip because people spun out that they had to fork out 4c a litre more, so they said just run the 91 it's fine and it is, but on a hot day or if you are up it that ignition timing retard comes in killing power and fuel economy badly, this eng could cut the timing by 2 deg segments all the way to 12 deg in all, but the earlier 5.0L 185 KW with the knock sensor just came in and wacked 12 deg out directly if it pinged.
I would think that if the timing is retarded then ADR would or could more likely not be passing the laws as it should be.

notmy SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
LC150 Prado M16 SSV
Update on ours, wifey went away in my car so I punted teh LS3 around for work, and most trips were less than 5km long, the everage for the 50km I did was closer to 17L/100 all sub 60kmh.

Lucky my wifes school runs are 15mins at 80kmh every day, keeps the consumption close the 4Cyl subaru we had LOL.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
18-19l/100k for me (all stop/start suburban driving). Drove to Lorne this week and got a 100k average of 9.7 though on the highway.

G6ET was around 16-17 around town, and my Honda Euro (2.4l) was around 12.5.

No freeways in my daily travel.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Maybe it's the way you guys drive... I have been reading this post so I did a little experiment and I did 2 tanks shell98 driving to work in peak hour traffic no freeway, all stop start car computer reads 13.4L per 100 I did the math it is 14.1l per 100. That's driving 6spd manual never got to 6th gear average speed 44.7 but that's the cars computer reading.
Personally I think that not bad for a 6.2lt V8. And it's still stock

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Average of 44km/h in stop-start, peak-hour traffic with no free-way? Seems a bit high. How many K's had you done since your last reset?

Mine averages 36.7km/h after about 1900km since reset (new). I live on the coast, so no peak hour, no stop-start and several trips up the freeway. Its low though because its mostly 50 zones around this area.

I'm gunna reset all the clocks on it and see what it comes up with.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
That's what I thought 44is high I have a section of Road about 10km were I can go between 90 and 100km/hr near my house. I reset and have done just over 780ks, I calculated my average speed in traffic is about mid to maybe high 30s. No sure how the car computer is work this out and if it is correct I have Changed wheels to20" from 19"

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Maybe it's the way you guys drive... I have been reading this post so I did a little experiment and I did 2 tanks shell98 driving to work in peak hour traffic no freeway, all stop start car computer reads 13.4L per 100 I did the math it is 14.1l per 100. That's driving 6spd manual never got to 6th gear average speed 44.7 but that's the cars computer reading.
Personally I think that not bad for a 6.2lt V8. And it's still stock
My average speed is 28kmh and i use 18l