Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
After 12 months, finally got to do a long distance trip in the LS3 Auto (A/C + cruise on + full boot) at Easter from Gold Coast to Sydney. The 2 mainly Freeway legs were Port Macquarie to Sydney northern suburbs 10.1 l/100 over 373 km and returning from Port Macquarie to Gold Coast 10.0 l/100 over 475 km. The trip computer says best was 9.3 somewhere. Comparatively, my VE AFM did 9.1 - 9.3 in similar conditions. So not too bad really. Driving around Sydney - different story!
I'm driving a Camry Altise hire car atm. I did Coffs To Macksville and return yesterday on cruise come, avg economy was 8.8l/100 on the speed limit. Lighter car, 4cyl, 1 person on board, no luggage. 4 cyl false economy, makes our V8's seem pretty darn good on highway.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
I'm driving a Camry Altise hire car atm. I did Coffs To Macksville and return yesterday on cruise come, avg economy was 8.8l/100 on the speed limit. Lighter car, 4cyl, 1 person on board, no luggage. 4 cyl false economy, makes our V8's seem pretty darn good on highway.
Yes quite amazing really, and not to forget the benefits of superior space, comfort, ride and handling for long haul trips, and the chance to get the jump on those rare overtaking lanes, it's the only way to fly (low).

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Drove mine yesterday and AVG after 5500 km is 11.7 AVG speed 54km/h SS manual tuned etc etc

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I’m driving a car half the weight and output of my wagon, more output yet 2/3 weight of latest VW Audi turbo 4 engine, is lauded as a triumph of engineering between BMW and PSA - recently won international Engine of the Year eight consecutive years - the posterboy of downsizing.
Main thing is fuel economy is still same as it uses premium fuel and you know what’s the point spending more time than you need to out of boost?!
Other thing is the fuel seems combusted petty poorly, like a light bit of oily sooty shiit gets caught in vortex behind white car need to wash every week!

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I averaged 9.9L/100 from Sydney to Gold coast and back 4 people and luggage.
Same economy as my diesel Pajero. I can't complain about that :D

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
I live in a very hilly area of the world, 700m above sea level. I guess around town, with my heavy foot, it's chewing through 16.9l/100km and on the highway somewhere in the 10's. I'll be interested to see how much worse it gets with the addition of a cam.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The Camry I mentioned above was horrible to drive too btw. The steering ratio was appaulling slow. No road feel whatsoever. The cruise control was like a 1980's Mazda 929. It felt unstable at 100k's.
It's all too easy to compare cars to our Commies on paper. But, driving many of them is a big let down in my experience.

Last edited:

Davesumner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
View attachment 199064
Since the 6.2 has been around for a few months now, it would be interesting to see what fuel consumption figures people are getting.

On a run to Newcastle from Melbourne I got 6.1 as we were about 50km from Sydney, soon disappeared as we hit Sydney's suburbs but I've still got it set as my lowest figure.

Attachments

• 6.1.jpg
    6.1.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
On a run to Newcastle from Melbourne I got 6.1 as we were about 50km from Sydney, soon disappeared as we hit Sydney's suburbs but I've still got it set as my lowest figure.
Melbourne is 31m above sea level while Newcastle is 9m above sea leavel which means you were going down hill the whole way :p You still got great 'mileage' from your trip :)

We should post fuel consumption figures with reference to the set distance setting (averaging over 25, 100 or 500 kms) as it makes it simpler to compare.

Pity the speed average isn't linked to the 'set distance setting' used with fuel consumption average but it would also be useful to post this number.

Me, IIRC, i'm getting an average from 18.4ltrs down to 11.4ltrs/100kms on the 25 kms scale with average speeds of around 34 kmph. It's very traffic and throttle dependant (and i don't hammer the go peddle).

It's also a pity the instantaneous fuel consuumption display is capped at displaying a max of 34.9ltrs/100kms even though there is no hardware reason for such a cap.

It would be nice to actually see what is happening when one takes off from the lights with other traffic but i guess GM/H are trying to be politically correct towards the greenies of the world by not showing the real uncapped figure. Gental take off from lights yields 24 odd litrs / 100 kms but is very very un fun...

For comparison, my old EF falcon 6 cylinder POS pegger the meter at 99.9ltrs/100kms on normal take-off (the cap was due to the 3 character 7 or 9 segment display limitations of the trip computer).