Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The Mitsubishi 380 used to show 99.9lts when you licked it in the guts. Was fun to see while on hire in Tassie. I remember thinking I never saw the VE go that high back in the year I had it.
Yeah, old 6 cylinder Fords with drive computer instead of clock also capped at 99.9 which I can understand if the display is a three segment display. But, IMO, Holden has absolutely no reason to cap at 39.9 which is just stupid.
Must be a bit of a hoon eh? They probably have it set to 39.9 L/100kms so you keep your eyes on the road instead of worrying about instant fuel usage when putting your foot down..

The display already gives us heaps of feedback with regards to fuel consumption as it is..
Me a hoon, nah as I’d hate to do this to my car.

I simply expect any gauge or display within my vehicle to be capable of fully displaying whatever parameter is being measured and which the vehicle is capable of delivering.

How would you feel with a speedo that is capped at 120 kph so you aren’t distracted by excessive speed? It’s a rhetorical question as I expect no one would be happy with such so I’m surprised you seem to accept and find arguments for a 39.9 ltr/100km cap.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yeah, old 6 cylinder Fords with drive computer instead of clock also capped at 99.9 which I can understand if the display is a three segment display. But, IMO, Holden has absolutely no reason to cap at 39.9 which is just stupid.

I simply expect any gauge or display within my vehicle to be capable of fully displaying whatever parameter is being measured and which the vehicle is capable of delivering.

How would you feel with a speedo that is capped at 120 kph so you aren’t distracted by excessive speed? It’s a rhetorical question as I expect no one would be happy with such so I’m surprised you seem to accept and find arguments for a 39.9 ltr/100km cap.

Well you got yourself a bit of a hoons car! I read somewhere they ran the LS3 engine for 260 hours WOT in one of the tests conducted by GM. The car can certainly take a beating. As for showing more than 39.9, how accurate do you think it would be under WOT conditions?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well you got yourself a bit of a hoons car!
:)
I read somewhere they ran the LS3 engine for 260 hours WOT in one of the tests conducted by GM. The car can certainly take a beating.
Yeah, supposedly strong and with the extra cooling bits the vehicle is able to better cope with getting rid of the heat (though I’m surprised the rockers didn’t let go :p ) :cool:
As for showing more than 39.9, how accurate do you think it would be under WOT conditions?
I’d expect fuel use would be rather accurate as ECU controls injection pulse, even at WOT. So with known injector flow rate and pulse rate at a given fuel pressure, the ECU exactly knows how much fuel is going into the engine. If it didn’t, and things would lean out, we’d have all sorts of problems.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline

Yeah fair enough just cant think of many situations where you would be using more than 40L/100kms of fuel at a constant rate.. maybe towing a caravan slowly up a steep hill??

And if your wanting to know your fuel usage on a take off (while accellerating) its going to be limited anyway, as it's relevant to your (changing) velocity and will be obscured by how often the ecu updates the fuel usage/100kms on the display. Would have to be displayed over a graph like some other manufacturers do to make any sense.

I only use my Speedo to stay within the local speed limits, never really look at my speedo in a track situation so having it limited wouldnt bother me too much. All my bikes had there Speedo limited to 299kmph not entirely sure why, but probably some government law thing cause they know stuff..

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
:)
Yeah, supposedly strong and with the extra cooling bits the vehicle is able to better cope with getting rid of the heat (though I’m surprised the rockers didn’t let go :p ) :cool:
I’d expect fuel use would be rather accurate as ECU controls injection pulse, even at WOT. So with known injector flow rate and pulse rate at a given fuel pressure, the ECU exactly knows how much fuel is going into the engine. If it didn’t, and things would lean out, we’d have all sorts of problems.

Rockers were due to change of supplier and manufacturing issue.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rockers were due to change of supplier and manufacturing issue.
Yes i know Anthony, the comment was just a quip as should be evident from the emoji.

However, I've previously made the point that when a manufacturer changes a parts supplier, the new component should be put through a barrage of QA tests to ensure it meets or exceeds the quality level of the previous part. Doubt such testing was done.

Such QA parts testing is especially important when changed part are used in an vehicle that has been tested to meet GM level 3 certification. Without doing such testing when parts suppliers are changed, GM level 3 certification has no meaning. Quite frankly i don't know how GM can keep its various ISO quality cerifications under such conditions of manufacture.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Yes i know Anthony, the comment was just a quip as should be evident from the emoji.

Don’t get upset over someone replying to your constant passive aggression Skylark, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don’t get upset over someone replying to your constant passive aggression Skylark, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Not upset at all tml.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
However, I've previously made the point that when a manufacturer changes a parts supplier, the new component should be put through a barrage of QA tests to ensure it meets or exceeds the quality level of the previous part. Doubt such testing was done.

Such QA parts testing is especially important when changed part are used in an vehicle that has been tested to meet GM level 3 certification. Without doing such testing when parts suppliers are changed, GM level 3 certification has no meaning. Quite frankly i don't know how GM can keep its various ISO quality cerifications under such conditions of manufacture.

And some other manufacturers like:
Rolls Royce with the Trent engine
General Electric with the LEAP engine
Pratt & Whitney with the GP 7200 engine.