Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yes i know Anthony, the comment was just a quip as should be evident from the emoji.

However, I've previously made the point that when a manufacturer changes a parts supplier, the new component should be put through a barrage of QA tests to ensure it meets or exceeds the quality level of the previous part. Doubt such testing was done.

Such QA parts testing is especially important when changed part are used in an vehicle that has been tested to meet GM level 3 certification. Without doing such testing when parts suppliers are changed, GM level 3 certification has no meaning. Quite frankly i don't know how GM can keep its various ISO quality cerifications under such conditions of manufacture.

How do you check a failure that only appears occasionally? There were not that many rocker failures compared to the number of Rockers made. I mean the part was only about US$2.50 but could destroy an engine. Just like mentioned above with the Rolls Royce Trent engine. A small part nearly crippled an A380. Stuff happens with manufacturing parts/goods.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How do you check a failure that only appears occasionally? There were not that many rocker failures compared to the number of Rockers made. I mean the part was only about US$2.50 but could destroy an engine. Just like mentioned above with the Rolls Royce Trent engine. A small part nearly crippled an A380. Stuff happens with manufacturing parts/goods.

Not just the A380...
40% of the B787 world wide fleet are on the ground waiting for Trent 'fixes'...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Not just the A380...
40% of the B787 world wide fleet are on the ground waiting for Trent 'fixes'...
Oh yeah forgot about that problem with 787

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ yes, Holden is not alone in this regard as I thought was self evident.

Stuff happens in manufacturing and it’s usually when there are process changes or some process deficiency. But when stuff happens, those manufacturers, who ever they are, should do some navel gazing to get to the root cause. If they don’t they should hold their head in shame while they suffer ISO audits. In any case, if the problem involves an aircraft manufacturer, they would suffer regulator audits as well.

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
Since the 6.2 has been around for a few months now, it would be interesting to see what fuel consumption figures people are getting.
Best I got was 8l/100km.
6th gear cruising for 2 hours to get that on freeway

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Around 11 to 13 If I only use it on the weekends for (mostly) driving to my parents house who live in a semi-rural area basically just 50km of freeway/high way.

Shoots up to 15l to 17l if I start to use it for driving to work, 10km each way in 50 to 60 zone roads.

Lowest I got was 8.6l, that was driving at 80-90km/h on rural roads at night for over an hour.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I get 16-17L per 100ks with awful traffic crawling 30kmh average speed...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I get 16-17L per 100ks with awful traffic crawling 30kmh average speed...

OK, a little out of the topic foci, but just to mention, you will get that figure of 17+L/100 in a V6 VF if you lope it around in its low gears!
The high figure (outrageous in my books) is not restrictd to the V8s. Earlier this week, returning to Alice from work in Darwin, my economy went to 3.9L/100km (!) (PULP98, as usual). The previous low was 4.1L/100. This is the smallest figure I have ever experienced. I guess though people with a V8 are not that interested in economy.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
OK, a little out of the topic foci, but just to mention, you will get that figure of 17+L/100 in a V6 VF if you lope it around in its low gears!
The high figure (outrageous in my books) is not restrictd to the V8s. Earlier this week, returning to Alice from work in Darwin, my economy went to 3.9L/100km (!) (PULP98, as usual). The previous low was 4.1L/100. This is the smallest figure I have ever experienced. I guess though people with a V8 are not that interested in economy.
I had VE SV6 sidi before. It averaged 14L with same driving conditions...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My car must have a hole in the tank cause it empties too quickly :po_O