Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
What's your average speed at? You haven't reset your fuel consumption meter for 50,000k's?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I wouldn't be trusting the figures showing up on the trip computer, especially on car with engine mods.

Mine constantly shows 3-4lt's/100km less than what it actually drinks.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Sorry I know this thread is primarily for the LS3 6.2 L engines but I was wondering to find out if the figures I'm getting on mine which is a L77 6.0 L is considered ok?

Originally when I picked up the car it had a full tank a fuel and was showing 390km distance to empty. Today I got the fuel level close to empty and filled up with BP Ultimate 98 and managed to get it showing 480km distance to empty now. Avg fuel consumption is showing @ 15.4 L.

With AFM and a 6 speed trans I would have thought I'd be getting better fuel economy figures compared to my last Gen V8 I owned (WH) LOL :p

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Sorry I know this thread is primarily for the LS3 6.2 L engines but I was wondering to find out if the figures I'm getting on mine which is a L77 6.0 L is considered ok?

Originally when I picked up the car it had a full tank a fuel and was showing 390km distance to empty. Today I got the fuel level close to empty and filled up with BP Ultimate 98 and managed to get it showing 480km distance to empty now. Avg fuel consumption is showing @ 15.4 L.

With AFM and a 6 speed trans I would have thought I'd be getting better fuel economy figures compared to my last Gen V8 I owned (WH) LOL :p

If you only just picked the car up, there's no way of telling how the previous owner drove it, or the conditions it was driven in (i.e. Urban, freeway etc)

I've not had experience with the AFM models, however I did have an L98 series 1 VE which returned around 16(ish) litres/100km, so your figures aren't too far off the mark. As far as I'm aware, the AFM doesn't make a huge degree of difference anyway unless you are constantly on the freeway, as it has a tendency to return to all 8 cylinders at the slightest provocation (happy to be corrected here though by AFM owners)

I'd say drive it as you normally would for a while noting how much you put in it and how many Kms you are doing and that will give you a better idea of what the car will give you. 480km distance to empty isn't unusual for full tank however. That will fluctuate up and down depending on you style of driving.

mikewl

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF 2 Redline
I've clocked 22k now. Cars had otr, tune and full pipes. Dyno 291rwkw and mainly do suburban Sydney. Getting 16L average.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
As far as I'm aware, the AFM doesn't make a huge degree of difference anyway unless you are constantly on the freeway, as it has a tendency to return to all 8 cylinders at the slightest provocation (happy to be corrected here though by AFM owners)

I'd say drive it as you normally would for a while noting how much you put in it and how many Kms you are doing and that will give you a better idea of what the car will give you. 480km distance to empty isn't unusual for full tank however. That will fluctuate up and down depending on you style of driving.

Yes true, the dash reading will be wildly inaccurate with mods. No way to change that with VE/VF ecu I don't think.
AFM 450-550 km per tank around town depends on how you drive and shittiness of the traffic really. You can always tune the AFM system to work more often and be more compliant, drive lightly and you can see high 500s in the burbs. Not bad considering is truly full sized doing stop/start near two tonnes.
Again it depends on which highway and how fast... but with AFM I regularly do Pacific Highway Gold Coast to Newcastle on a tank, 710 km is my hypermiling PB

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Thanks guys for the responses on the fuel consumption average.
Good to hear mines in the OK then :)
I have no idea what type of fuel was in the car before but I'm guessing it wasn't 98 as the Distance to Empty was showing very low figures.
Maybe on the second tank fill of 98 fuel will help eliminate any trace of the previous fuel type used??

I don't do hardly any Freeway driving at all with just mostly close distance travel to and from the home.
One thing that is probably making the fuel consumption worse as well is my bad habit of leaving the car to warm up a little longer than the average.
Leaving it for about 7-10 mins before i drive off :oops:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yes true, the dash reading will be wildly inaccurate with mods. No way to change that with VE/VF ecu I don't think.
the calculation for the fuel usage can be changed in the tune file, but it is usually pretty spot on so as long as the injector data is correct then actual fuel used will be correct, with "actual fuel usage" being correct the error is in the L/100 calc which has all the variables that are constantly changing

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
One thing that is probably making the fuel consumption worse as well is my bad habit of leaving the car to warm up a little longer than the average.
Leaving it for about 7-10 mins before i drive off :oops:

AFAIK, leaving a modern car with fuel injection idling to warm it up is not advised due to oil dilution by excess fuel in the cylinders. Just get in, start up and drive off. You'll warm the car up quicker that way. The engine management systems should automatically adjust to keep the car running smoothly, no matter what the prevailing conditions. The idea of "idling to warm up" is a hangover from carburettor days. See this link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30249/why-you-shouldnt-warm-up-your-car/